Chrysler 105 propeller diameter problem!

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 74 Chrysler has a 13x19 prop on it, i bought a 13x17 prop to try, i went to put it on and it hits the exhaust snout! It says 13x17 clear as day on it! I am not sure what the problem is! Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Those older Chrysler engines had minimal clearance between the prop and exhaust snout. You probably bought a high rake prop. The blades are canted forward and thus hit the exhaust snout. I didn't know that anyone made a thrust pin 18 spline prop for these early engines. Are you sure it is a 74?Is it a two piece lower unit or a one piece lower? The one piece uses a thrust washer and 15 splines. If this is the case, you can do modifications to use the prop. Search this and the prop forum for my post a couple of years ago on the Ballistic prop. It shows how to make modifications so you don't need to grind away the snout.

If you indeed have a 1974 engine and lower unit it is possible to buy a 1977 lower unit which has a little more clearance--but try before you buy! Caveat Emptor

Last edited:

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes its a 1974 at one time i looked up the numbers! It was odd it said 13x17 plain as day! It is a two piece lower end, and it has the thrust pin. It was a good deal online i didny pay much for it compared to local salvage places! I can give the numbers from the front of the prop if that can tell anyone more?

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Well, that looks like a Michigan after-market prop. It does have a little more rake than the older stock props. I have a couple of them and they do fit the later 1976-77 lower units. The exhaust snout for the 1977 lower units has the same mounting holes AND it is adjustable for prop torque. It sits about one inch further back on the lower unit than your snout. SO: If the prop is hitting by less than 3/4 inch or so it will clear the later snout.

Try looking on ebay for that snout. I have one, but I can not send or receive private messages and I will not post my email on line. Several members here do have my email so perhaps they might see this and send it to you in a private message. But be aware: I do not check my email often so it may be a while before I get back to you.

Last edited:

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! Is it possible that you can post a link to one that would fit from ebay? so i can use it as a reference?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I don't know of a specific listing on ebay. You just need to search and have perseverance. You might also try Franz at franzmarine@aol.com but be aware that he will charge cubic money

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did search around, i found one a snout for 17.99 free shipping. So i went ahead and ordered it! do you have much info on michigan wheel propellers? I have a spare 13x19 prop i retired due being pretty tore up! is their a chepa place to have em fixed? local price is 100$ to be shipped off!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No, I don't. When aluminum props get bad enough to need repair I toss them and use a different on. I am always looking for cheap used props on ebay and buy them whether or not I need them.Iif necessary I modify them to fit my Force engines. I probably have about 25 props for my various engines.

Last edited:

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
oh wow! I am assuming the props for the later one piece lower end are easy to come by? ik at the local boat places when i said chrysler prop they said a WHAT?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Yes, props for the one piece lower unit are much easier to find. You can use listed Force props and some Mercury props. Every once in a while an 18 spline pin drive prop comes up on ebay but usually the seller wants a lot of money.

In 1978 Chrysler went to the one piece lower unit and in a post long ago I proved the claim that it is 3 MPH faster than the two piece lower unit. If someday you get really enthusiastic it is possible to mount your engine block on a one piece midleg without too much trouble and use the one piece lower unit. ALL my Chrysler engines are now one piece and I swap Chrysler and Force lower units. I do have an old two piece midleg and lower unit but I simply can not justify putting an engine block on it.

Last edited:

hbryant123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would love to swap to a one piece lower end! Right now i have my old two piece lower unit not leaking oil anymore so i am gonna stick with it for a while! I see alot of michigan wheel propellers on ebay, are they good props? did they ever make stainless props for the two piece lower end?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Back then, stainless was too difficult to machine. The upscale props were all bronze. In fact, even the racers used bronze props. Michigan and Columbia both made bronze props for Chrysler engines. However, I think Michigan was considered a better prop because I have not seen many Columbian props. While Columbian still makes props I have not seen one for newer outboards. I think they may stick to inboard straight drive and vee drive props.

I recently came across a chrome plated bronze prop for a 2 piece lower. At first I thought it was stainless because of the weight but then I saw a couple of spots of minor damage where the bronze is showing through the chrome.

Understand that unless you come across a new-in-box (NIB) or new old stock (NOS) you will be buying a used prop. I have seen a couple of NOS props but the seller (a marine store) wants way too much money. No one makes the pin drive 18 spline prop any more so be careful with what you have.

Last edited: