Weep hole or a hole?-UPDATE- Shift shaft seal

OK saw several posts on this that went dead. Just had the lower unit rebuilt. Put the tilt up and had a small puddle of gear oil coming from a small hole on the front of the lower unit. Is this a weep hole which probably means a seal or an actual hole which means this rebuild was useless
Here's a pic
Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• photo223919.jpg
    photo223919.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That hole is actually an impact hole for the speedometer. It connects with a cavity in the front of the lower unit. the top of the cavity is sealed with a rubber plug through which a speedometer tube passes. If the plug has been removed, residual oil from the exhaust will get into the cavity and, of course, drain out the hole.

If the oil smells like gasoline then that is what is happening. If the oil smells like rear end oil with a sulphur type smell then the rebuild was not effective. Take it back and complain.

I've been complaining to these guys for a couple of months so I think I'll have to take this on myself. The factory speedo has a pitot on the transom so I'll look for the plug. I was thinking it was a pickup but with the pickup elsewhere I wasn't sure.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
A bit more info???
Year?
Model?
Older Forces didn't have a speedo pickup in the front.
Not sure any Forces had that??

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Turns out the L-drive did have a pitot tube on the drive.
Gonna have to do a pressure test.

You would think that is the final process in a rebuild......
These guys wont return my calls and are never "available" when I show up so Ill take that up with them,

Looks like its leaking from around the shift shaft or the o-ring and leaking into that cavity when the trim is up. Ill run by the marina this wekend and see if they ave those seals

Thanks for the help

No Title

Found the problem. The shift shaft seal. This has to be the worst design I have ever seen, a bellows. Has anyone modified the plate to accept a good old fashioned seal? I have not been able to locate a bellows type. The lower shaft is 3/8" so I think I could bore out the hole leaving a lip and press in a traditional seal.

Any input would be appreciated. Its a 90 120 L- drive "A" series

thanks here is a pic......

mark

Attachments

• photo224083.jpg
    photo224083.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Look up some previous posts on this subject. Someone has modified the top plate and I think he will sell a modified one--but you need to send him a personal message as no selling or solicitation is permitted on the forum.

No Title

Decided to go down and dirty on this one

Picked up a 3/8" ID 5/8" OD shaft seal, clamped the base down in the drill press and used a 5/8" end mill to bore the pocket.
A series of gaskets and spacers, volia!
Top is ABS for now I'll cut an aluminum piece tomorrow although the ABS would probably be fine. No leaks so far. Including the end mill total cost under $30. Barely makes it with the shaft all the way down, forward I believe.
Mark.

Attachments

• photo224334.jpg
    photo224334.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224335.jpg
    photo224335.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0