1989 Force 85 Throttle Cable Adjustment Help

Hey everyone! So I have seen a few threads about a similar topic/problem that I am having but I haven't really seen a clear answer! Hoping I can get some questions cleared up here.

So my dad gave me his 1989 Bayliner Capri with an 85 HP Force. He had a problem with the shifting not working properly, as in it would not go into gear until the RPM's started to increase which caused a grinding thunk into gear. I have since fixed that problem with some minor adjustment, however, when I took it out for a test run I put it into wide open throttle and it took about 10-15 seconds for it to slowly increase in RPM and even then we were only doing about 20MPH, if that. Also at idle when you pull the control outwards to get just high idle, the control goes all the way forward with very little RPM increase happening only at the end of the stroke.

I believe I just need to do a full throttle cable adjustment, so my question is, is there any specific procedure to follow to at least get a baseline and fine tune from there? Maybe there is a link someone knows about or a video? Anything will help!

Thanks!