1990 50Hp Force Shift linkage issue or worn gears?

Stefanczyk

Recruit
I replaced the seals on my 1990 50Hp force. I had the lower unit completely off. Now that it is reassembled I can adjust the shift linkage so it will go into forward and reverse when the motor is not running but neither when running. I can adjust the linkage to get forward or reverse, but not both at the same time. It seems like everything would work fine if there was more throw in the shift linkage (if it went further up and down). I have had issues shifting into reverse the last several years - it would make a clicking sound prior to engaging. Do my forward and reverse gears need to be replaced. Are there any adjustments that would increase the travel of the shift linkage?

Oh my I have the exact same issue on my L-drive. Been in the shop 3 times over the past few months. Just took it back yesterday .
I hope someone chimes in.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Some throttle handles have several holes inside the mechanism in which to attach the control cable(s) which may give you more throw. Holes or mounting points that are further away from the center pivot point will give you more throw.

Stefanczyk

Recruit
I looked at the control cable from the remote control to the engine and did not see any means to increase my throw.

Same on mine, cable is in the furthest hole. Pulled the control this evening and I have about 3/32 of play in the arm that pulls/pushes the shift cable(at the hole that holds the cable). Anyone know if this is normal? If not then its time for a new control. I was thinking of maki g a new arm with a couple of holes that would pull a tough more. Its a morse single lever dual action control. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the detent position? I dont see anything on there.
Thanks

Stefanczyk

Recruit
I found this on another thread.

Sorry if i wasted your time, but i took the lower unit off and there was a piece of wire holding the shift rod on allowing alot of play in the linkage. I went and got a roll pin and all is good now.

Stefanczyk

Recruit
I took my motor into a shop and they said the reverse gear was completely worn and the forward gear was worn (he was surprised it was able to go forward). Anyone know where I can get a get set for a 1990 50hp Force - Serial #507F90C?

DonegalDave

Cadet
Hi Stefan. Was about to say that if it makes a clicking sound before engaging then something is being worn. The clutches are quite basic. The drive shaft drives both the forward and reverse gears at the same time. They spin freely on the prop shaft. A dog clutch is attached to the prop shaft and engages either the froward or reverse gears or neither (neutral). The dog clutch and the gears have teeth that mate into each other, thus the gear drives the clutch and the clutch drives the prop shaft.

I am not great at explaining so hope this makes sense!

These do wear over time and especially if you change gear slowly, at high revs or the adjustment is wrong. The clicking is the gears not quite meshing.

As for getting replacements... no idea beyond the wonderful Google!