1988 Force 125 hp not starting with lower unit

21BayliberCC

Recruit
I recently purchased a 21' center console Bayliner and have been working on the companion 1988 125 hp Force outboard for the past couple of days. The engine started, but no water was coming out of the "pee hole." I took the lower unit off and replaced the impeller and water pump housing, reinstalled the lower unit, and now the engine will not start (it does turn over).
I again removed the lower unit and attempted to start - after a few seconds it started right up, allowing it to run for just a few seconds as to not overheat the engine.
I noticed that the driveshaft is easy to turn when the pump housing is not tightened down on the lower unit, however, when tightened, the driveshaft is difficult to turn. Is it possible that the new impeller is causing too much friction one the driveshaft for the starter to start the engine?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Are you certain you have the correct impeller? Later impellers have the same diameter and same shaft size but they are taller and can not be used with earlier water pumps. So yes, the incoreect impeller can be too tight and cause the engine to either not turn over or turn over so slowly that it will not start.

21BayliberCC

Recruit
I cross referenced the aftermarket parts with the existing parts, and they matched. I will compare both impellers side by side just to make sure, thanks!