new batt,float issue

carlosy2k1

Cadet
Hi everyone,I'm having a issue and was hoping for help. which I have always gotten from u guy and I'm very appreciated for any input.okay took bayliner out after being in storage it has a 125 force,so it ran for a bit and left me stranded I took the cover of and notice it was leaking a lot of gas through the float and also my battery sounded dead.i got the boat home took the battery back to les schwab and had it check and it was good as new so they gave me a new one to be Safe . connected The New Batt And It Sounds Dead Also .Notice My Starter Is Still On The engagement Position .so does any one have an idea why a new battery sounds dead is it something electrical coil,timing?and what can be done for the float issue it's only 1 card not both . thanks

Jiggz

Captain
The problem is with the starter pinion gear. Regardless how new or strong your battery is, unless the starter pinion gear is disengage to start with it will always sound like the battery is dead or weak. Reason? Because the starter needs momentum to establish speed and torque to turn over the motor.

So the next question is why is the starter pinion gear staying up in the engaged position? Well there are many reasons but the most common ones are:

1. Missing pinion gear spring
2. Stop nut is missing or mis-positioned
3. Need to lube the starter shaft
4. Need to grease the pinion gear teeth and also the flywheel ring gear teeth.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The pinion is still engaged because the engine did not start and was turning too slowly to throw it back down.However, even with the pinion engaged in the ring gear the starter still should have enough torque to crank the engine-provided that everything else is good. The starter motor is a high torque design that will develop its ultimate torque at stall. Speed will not increase the torque delivered. Speed only throws the bendix up into the ring gear

So, having proved the battery to be good you now need to check the cable connections to the battery terminals. If there is any corrosion, sand it off. I like to use a lock washer under the cable terminals. The sharp edges bite into the terminals and assure a good electrical connection. also check the connections at the engine block ground and the starter solenoid.

If all connections are clean and making good electrical contact and the engine still can't crank, the problem is with the starter motor. It may have worn brushes, the brush springs may have lost their temper, the commutator may be dirty, OR the starter may have burned out a couple of windings. You can dis-assemble the starter and check for these conditions or you can buy a new or used one on the auction. However, before buying a new starter PROVE that it is the problem.

carlosy2k1

Cadet
Thank you for the the input guys as always greatly appreciated I'll check all the wires. Also on my second issue with the float leaking fuel any idea why?

Jiggz

Captain
As for the starter, you can try resetting the pinion gear manually and then try starting again. If it sounds the same, then absolutely go with cleaning and tightening of the battery cables especially with the negative terminal on the engine block. As for the fuel leak, you need to dismount the carb's bowl and inspect the float and needle to make sure it is not stuck in the down position thus failing to close the fuel inlet port. You can try moving them manually while spraying them with carb cleaner.

carlosy2k1

Cadet
Thanks,sorry for the late response. I took it to a local mechanic and the starter was rebuilt and carbs adjusted and plugs changed.we took it out in the water and it turn on great this was with the cowl off and it was running ok had to play with the trim but it ran great also.so we shut everything down put the top back on and it started fine again but it wouldnt pick up speed on full throttle any idea why without the cowl had great speed and with hood it doesn't?

Jiggz

Captain
Most likely you have exhaust leaks inside the cowling. So with the cowl off there is fresh air for the intakes for a complete combustion while with the cowl on, there is limited fresh air hence limited combustion. With the cowl off inspect around the base of the engine for exhaust leaks. The thing though, exhaust leak is only prominent when the LU is submerged under water. So you either go into the water or have the LU submerged in a trash can or bin on the driveway.