85HP fuel problem

aladin_sane

Seaman Apprentice
The frustration continues. I am now at the lake for a weeks vacation. I got here Saturday, and when we dropped the boat in the water, it would crank, but would not start. That was new. I thought it was all set when we left home. So, back on the trailer. It occurred to me that this must now be an electrical problem. So, yesterday, I replaced all the spade connectors on the terminal block on the starboard side of the engine block. I put the boat in the water this morning, and it fired right off, so electrical problem perhaps fixed. I had not been able to run the boat since the last time I adjusted the air mixture screws, so I took the air horn off and set them while running. It would now idle very steady, and I had high hopes of the boat running as it should. We idled out beyond the buoys and hit the throttle. It started off ok, but in about 5 second sputtered to a stop. I just can't get it to run in gear at much above idle, so we idled back to the dock and I plan to spend the rest of the afternoon pouting. Of course, none of the service shops here at the lake can look at it until a week from tomorrow. Anyone want to buy a boat?

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
I sincerely do not believe it is a carburetion problem anymore but more of fuel delivery problem. So does pressing the primer bulb still makes it go full WOT speed?

Jiggz

Captain
It's time to do elimination process. As I mentioned before, try using an external tank for now. I understand this will require you to invest in a fuel hose and also a fuel tank. But if you can just lease or borrow a tank it's really a cheap way to troubleshoot. Or even better borrow an external tank with a hose that you can connect directly to the fuel pump. Then do a test run with the cowl off so you can monitor the status of the clear fuel filter. If the clear fuel filter stays at least 2/3 full and still struggling at WOT, first verify timing and then next check all the wirings making sure none is touching to ground on all position of the control lever.

If the clear fuel filter still would not maintain at least 2/3 full, there is a fuel delivery problem still and mostly from the fuel pump.

aladin_sane

Seaman Apprentice
OK, so I thought I would post the final outcome of this story. I finally through in the towel and took the boat to the only local guy who still works on force outboards. I changed the fuel pump diaphragm again and showed me one with a huge rip in it that I had a hard time believing was the one I had just installed a few weeks before. He also pulled the flywheel and cleaned off some corrosion that he clamed was interfering with the ignition system. He also added a second fuel filter, this one on the tank side of the primer bulb. To say that I was skeptical that this work would fix my problem was a massive understatement, yet when I dropped the boat in the river, it started right up, idled like a dream and ran wide open like a champ. I am just glad it is working again.