94' Force 90 HP trim tilt question

MarkS.

Cadet
My trim just quite working while I was raising the motor at my house. I had the boat on the water the weekend before and all seemed well. I just bought it 3 weeks ago and still Alitalia unfamiliar with things. I had power right where the wires went into the trim motor. I took the motor off the bad and had a greyest milky color come out with water. So I think that's where the problems starts. Any how I ordered a new trim motor and hoping it all works out. All I could find on the old motor was a tag on the wires (assumimg it the part number). The new motor had a series of part number it replaces and my number was on the list. So hoping it all works out. So my question is do I need to bleed out the hydroliclines lines and cylinders and if I do what would be the best way to do it? I can't get the motor to budge and it's almost all the way down. And any tips on installing the new pump?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The motor is separated from the reservoir by a seal. SO if the seal is good it is likely that the hydraulic oil is not contaminated with water.just to be certain, after installing the new motor, cycle the trim/tilt a couple of times and check the oil. if it is milky in color then it is contaminated. DO NOT confuse air bubbles and foaminess with milky. most oils will foam slightly when cycled

MarkS.

Cadet
When I pulled the drain/ fill plug from the reservoir the milky stuff came out. So the fluid is contaminated. Do I need to disconnect all the lines and try to get it out of the cylinders also. Or just clout the pump on and cyle it and drain it until clean oil is present?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Yes, if the fluid is contaminated you will need to disconnect the hydraulic lines at the pump and drain the cylinders. The cylinders contain more oil than the reservoir so if you tried to refill the reservoir and recycle it you will be a year before you get clean fluid.

And by the way, Alitalia is the Italian air line. I suspect you meant "a little" LOL I constantly mis-key and always need to proof read my replies.

Last edited:

MarkS.

Cadet
Ok thanks a bunch. I did disconnect the lines from the pump and got more bad oil out by raising and lowering the motor manually. I appreciate all the great advice.