1996 Force 120 grinding going into forward and reverse

KevinSeiple

Cadet
Hello guys, I am sure I am reinventing an issue here but i have never had this happen before.
A few months ago everything worked fine. I went to start the boat up yesterday and there is a horrible grind whether going into forward or reverse. I was scared to continue running it and to not damage anything and shut if off. What is the best way to diagnose this grind and where do i start first?

Last edited:

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sure the professionals will respond. This is what i would do.
1 Engine off shift into neutral and spin the prop by hand. Is the same noise there?
2 If no noise or just the clicking of the clutch jaw, place the engine in reverse and spin the prop. If not the same noise adjust/lengthen the shift throw. Re-test.
3 If the noise is the same in any shift position it looks like something is broken in the LU.

The goal is to have no noise in neutral after adjusting.

foodfisher

Captain
Slow shifting will grind and wear on the gears. Assertive shifting will clunk into gear. Sound is more noticeable out of water.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Remove the spark plugs and put the engine in gear. Now turn the flywheel by hand as quickly as you can. If the lower unit still grinds, then it is time to remove it and open it up. Drain the oil--Are there metal shavings in it? If it has a magnetic drain plug are metal shavings stuck to it? If so it is a good bet that you will need a good used lower unit.

Easing the lower unit into gear will cause wear on the drive dogs and cause a rattling sound but I suspect you do not ease it because you say the trouble just began

KevinSeiple

Cadet
I drained the oil today. It was black but no metal shavings to be found. This came out of no where, both reverse and forward gear. Its just an awful grind no matter how fast you try to put it into gear. I stopped doing it because it sounds awful. I will try the things you guys mentioned in daylight tomorrow. What would cause it to be both forward and reverse? The dog clutch?

KevinSeiple

Cadet
I'm sure the professionals will respond. This is what i would do.
1 Engine off shift into neutral and spin the prop by hand. Is the same noise there?
2 If no noise or just the clicking of the clutch jaw, place the engine in reverse and spin the prop. If not the same noise adjust/lengthen the shift throw. Re-test.
3 If the noise is the same in any shift position it looks like something is broken in the LU.

The goal is to have no noise in neutral after adjusting.

The prop in neutral has no noise and just the clicking sound when spun. I recall earlier when i placed it in gear and spun it, it seemed normal. So maybe it could be something when the cables.

KevinSeiple

Cadet
It looks like it is making sounds when spinning the prop in neutral. I have a video but looks like I cant upload it

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If it is making grinding sounds when you turn the prop in neutral then it is time to open up the lower unit. Are you certain it is a grinding sound and not a clicking?licking can be due to poor adjustment, grinding is always bad news. I wish I could see and hear the video. Try again to upload. Thanks.

KevinSeiple

Cadet
If it is making grinding sounds when you turn the prop in neutral then it is time to open up the lower unit. Are you certain it is a grinding sound and not a clicking?licking can be due to poor adjustment, grinding is always bad news. I wish I could see and hear the video. Try again to upload. Thanks.

I posted the video above. I cant tell if its grinding but it doesnt sound like the clicking i have heard in the past. The thing looks to make noise and shake. Let me know your thoughts.

KevinSeiple

Cadet
I now tried when in gear with the engine off. The prop spins and clicks when in forward. When in reverse, the prop does not move

KevinSeiple

Cadet
I finally got the lower unit pulled last evening. Odd thing now, i dont get the sound when rotating the prop. I am also noticing I cant change gears with the shift linkage. I can go into neutral but not reverse.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That's because the linkage was slightly out of adjustment. What you were hearing was the drive dogs hitting each other when you spun the prop.

The drive dogs are tapered to ease engagement, kind of like a saw tooth shape. Thus when you spin the prop one direction they clash a bit and when you spin it in the other direction they "ramp-up" over each other without making much noise. When you install the lower unit again adjust the linkage just a little at a time until neutral is really centered. Use the two nuts under the bottom carb.

Now don't take my word for this but the noise is when you turn the prop backward so I thing you need to adjust UP a little--a half turn should do it to start.. Loosen the bottom nut and tighten down the top nut to raise the linkage