Motor protection Force 50 ELPT

AGCB

Cadet
I'm wondering what protection is built in to the motor against striking things in water such as deadheads (numerous in some of the places I go).
In looking at the parts list it looks to me like the clutch parts are designed to protect the drive system from prop strikes. Am I right on this? If so, how does this work?

If the motor hits an underwater large object, is there anything to prevent the transom from damage being that it has power trim? Is that what the shock parts are for?

Thanks for looking.

Aaron

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The only protection is the rubber hub in the prop.
The clutch dog is there to engage the gears. It is a bit softer metal and will wear out if there is a cable out of adjustment.
Or if the rpm's are too high.
The "shock" is there to absorb any shock up or down.. it's designed to slow the rate of drop when it's tilted up.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If the engine has power trim/tilt there are special valves built into it to allow the engine to rise quickly in the event of an underwater strike. There are also special valves to allow the engine to relatively slowly drop back into the water. Watch a couple of old James Bond movies like Live and Let Die

The rubber prop hub is the only gear protection. Dog clutches are positive engagement and will not slip because of a strike. They are stronger than the gear teeth so it is possible to strip the teeth before doing damage to the clutch. In a strike hard enough to do damage, you will probably also bent the prop shaft.

AGCB

Cadet
Thanks
Good to know there's some protection. The best is slow speed and pilot attention