New 1986 Force 125 owner needs help with basic tuning

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi
Just got a bayliner with an OB 125 HP force motor.(1986)
Motor runs well and seemed to have been well taking care of. It has been a fresh water boat for 30 years.
Being the new owner and also first time boat owner. I'd like to keep this motor running well.( lake use only)
Aside from changing the Spark plugs, checking fuel filters and using ethanol free gasoline. What else would you do to stay on top of things?
I just started my education by browsing thru the web. Seems to be difficult to find parts for this motor.
Anyway , any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
It's usually good to change the impeller and gear oil if unknown. There are Faqs at the top of this page on how to do it. You also want to make sure your engine can hit around 5000-5500 rpm at top speed to ensure engine life. If not then look at a smaller pitch prop or link and sync.(also FAQ) Always use 50:1 gas oil mixture. Parts are not hard to find.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Don't worry about gas. Regular 85 octane pump gas will work fine and not cause problems. You need not change the plugs. Remove them and clean with a green Skotchbrite pad and they will be fine. Pump some grease regularly into the engine pivot to keep it from freezing-up. Use 50-1 gas to oil TCW-3. I find the cheap Wal-Mart oil works just as well as the expensive stuff. Measure one pint to six gallons gas (actually 48-1)

Jiggz

Captain
For freshwater use only, you have very few things to worry about which were all addressed by the two previous posts.

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you everyone! Just got some gear oil and I will go ahead and do the impeller. I took a video today of the water coming out, seems a bit weak but not an expert. Anyway better safe than sorry so impeller it is.
Also going to replace steering cable. Otherwise all seems to be working well.
Thank you for your help.
Cheers.
FMT

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Video update:

So here is how much water is coming out. I saw a video of a Force 125 on youtube few days ago and it seemed that that engine was gushing out more water. What do you think?
I am planing on doing the impeller but not before next week and the weather is suppose to be very nice this weekend. Wondering if I should ground the boat or is it ok to use for a few days?

Thank you for all your suggestions.

FMT

https://youtu.be/mtZ4DVTepHI

Jiggz

Captain
Just to be safe, you should change the impeller and ground the boat until that is completed. Losing cooling water at high speed takes less than 8~10 seconds to seriously damage the motor.

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's usually good to change the impeller and gear oil if unknown. There are Faqs at the top of this page on how to do it. You also want to make sure your engine can hit around 5000-5500 rpm at top speed to ensure engine life. If not then look at a smaller pitch prop or link and sync.(also FAQ) Always use 50:1 gas oil mixture. Parts are not hard to find.

SkiDad,

Thanks for the info. Im new to this but geez, takes me forever to find parts!!!!

fmt2bx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just to be safe, you should change the impeller and ground the boat until that is completed. Losing cooling water at high speed takes less than 8~10 seconds to seriously damage the motor.

Boat grounded then. Finally I found the impeller kit on line.
Thanks