New boat owner

Homebrew72

Seaman Apprentice
Hello group, I just bought an 89 bayliner with a force 85 and a 5hp kicker. The hull is in great shape, the interior is ok. Kicker runs great, engine runs good but isn't cooling. I just dropped the gear box and discovered the impeller had disintegrated, and I'm sure there are pieces that were sucked up. The intake tube is clear. I bought a new impeller and will be installing it soon. My question, is there a way to reverse flush the engine?? Any chance once I put the new impeller in and run it it'll clear out any bits that got sucked up? I only paid 700 for the boat and don't want to dump a bunch more into this engine. Thank for any help

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
You might want to check for junk in the thermostat. But then you should also check compression on all 3 cylinders to make sure overheating didn't kill the engine. I'm sure others will have better suggestions.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Remove the thermostat and stick a hose in the opening. Water should come out the bottom of the brass tube. The thermostat is inside the rectangular box on top of the head. It is held with four screws. The bottom two screws penetrate the water jacket and may be very difficult to remove. You may need an impact screwdriver (Sears) You put the tip in the screw slot, twist the driver in the direction you want to go, and hammer on it.. While it is out. test the thermostat in hot water. put a pot on the stove and heat it. The thermostat should open fully by 140 degrees. If it does not open by the time the water is boiling, replace it.

Homebrew72

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the input, I honestly didn't know outboards had thermostats. This is the first outboard I've ever had so I'm still learning. I did do a compression test and got 120/115/120 which seems low. should be upwards of 140 correct? what would a rebuild cost? the engine itself looks good, no signs of discoloration from over heating. Wondering if this engine is worth putting money in to.

Jiggz

Captain
Those compression numbers are not too bad at all. Although, they may look a little lower actually they are not because it all depends on the type and calibration of the compression gauge used. For now, I think your best move is to flush the unit from the thermostat well to blow back any debris from the broken impeller. From there, go ahead and ran the engine and see for yourself if it's worth putting in more $$$.

Homebrew72

Seaman Apprentice
I'm thinking about adding an inline fuel filter, they have a canister style filter at Wally World anyone use these?

Jiggz

Captain
It is always recommended to add a clear in line filter for two reasons, troubleshooting fuel related problems and also as a secondary fuel filter. It needs to be installed between the pump outlet and the carb's inlet. Usually the G2 Fram will suffice and it already comes with hose clamps for less than $5.