Disuse problems.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I just took out my 21 foot cuddy with the Force 150 for a shake-down cruise. This was after over a year and a half not using it. Right from the start I knew it was going to be a bad day because I misplaced the cord to the electric winch. So, I added back a handle and decided to winch the boat back onto the trailer by hand.

Well, launched the boat and the engine started easily. However, while idling and getting supplies out of the truck the overheat alarm went off. Pumped lots of water last time I used it. Coupled with that the trigger is stuck and the engine would not accelerate. So now I need to remove the flywheel, loosen the stuck trigger and remove the lower unit and change the impeller. ALL this from disuse.

However, It was still a successful day. I didn't even expect the engine to start. We idled out to the river and anchored for a couple of hours. As I said it was a shake-down cruise to identify problems before I really needed to use the boat.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's comforting to know that even the most experienced members here have much the same problems with these engines as everyone else.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I know what you mean Frank. I always test start my motor in a tank of water before I take it out on the lake each Spring. This is just from sitting during the winter. I usually find that one or two things that need fixing. This year I discovered that my primer bulb check valve is bad. It only works if you hold it in a certain position. I suspect that the spring that holds the check ball in place is weak or broken.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I live in Fl. and can go boatin anytime.
But I still give it a check before I drop it in the water.
Sometimes it sets for a month maybe 3?
Nothing more embarrassing than trying to start and NOTHING happening and have to pull it in front of a bunch of tsk tskers.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
My shake down cruise in VA this weekend?
Boat sit for 7 months thru long winter, pulled off tarp (Wally World), found a hornet nest about the size of a tennis ball, one wasp nest.
After running around swatting at the air and spraying hornet killer everywhere, inspecting all openings for mud daubers nests (none found), I filled my tank with water and got ready to fire her up!
Primer pumped up good and hard, fresh battery, pulled out the control and shoved forward, hit the choke and turned the key, and.......
it fired right up! But, the RPM's were extremely high for my liking especially after setting so long, It made me cringe to think the cylinders were "dry" although I fogged them very well when I parked it. I grabbed the control quick as I could back into mid point. Whew...that hurt, but it purred away......

So, having said that, should one pull spark plugs before first start of the season and "re-fog" the cylinders? Makes perfect sense.
Anyway, a 30 mile trip down the Roanoke river and back went flawless......ran like a sewing machine!:happy:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
WELL! That's a first for me! The water pump impeller was in like new condition. I replaced it anyway because the bronze liner was starting to corrode to the drive shaft.

The first is: Unfortunately, the water delivery tube was packed solid with sand for at least 12 inches. Never saw that in any engine before. Hmmm! I don't make it a practice of running through sand so it must have happened last time I was on Barnegat Bay picnicking at the shallows. Strange though that the engine was still cooling then.

Good thing I have my 18 inch drill bits. Drilled that sucker out. But now I need to remove the thermostat and flush the whole engine by hand to see if there are any other blockages.

I keep spraying the trigger with penetrant and it is loosening up but I will still need to remove the flywheel and stator to adequately clean it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Well! Another first! That's what I get for buying a $300 engine! LOL

I pulled the flywheel and lo and behold: The trigger magnet and part of the hub stayed on the shaft. I never saw anything like it. Half the steel hub is still in the flywheel and the other half is in the trigger magnet, rust welded to the crank shaft. The engine still runs because half the key is holding the flywheel and half is holding the trigger magnet. Thus, timing has not changed Apparently it has been this way for some time because the broken surfaces are rusted.

Since the puller holes in the flywheel are stripped I can only postulate that the previous owner broke it and put it together broken-- Just as I am going to do until I need to rebuild. Well, the iron core of the stator was rusted and that is what was jamming the trigger so It was sanded and the problem is solved.

jamma007

Recruit
Frank,

/start quasi Hijacking thread/

Your post on disuse problems got me thinking about everything im not thinking about. I just inherited and an '88 Chrysler 85 that hasnt been used since the early 90s. Motor was kept in a shed so it still looks pretty good. I have started with the basics- replacing the impeller, fuel lines, plugs, new lower lube etc. and haven't run into any major issues (shafts look great no rust or corrosion, still oil in the lower unit, head is very clean with no corrosion except some surface rust on the starter.)

/end quasi Hijacking thread/

Long story short, is there anything else specific that I should be looking out for on long disused motors that I can try to prevent before I give it a shake down cruise?

Thanks,
Jamma

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Pull the carb bowls and see if there is any varnish in them If they are clean and shiny, it is a good bet that you will not need to clean the carbs. Check the thermostat for proper opening. Since the engine has not been used for a long time the cylinders will be a bit dry. put some TWC-3 oil in each spark plug hole and turn the engine by hand a couple of times. First time you start it, take it easy until oil has built up internally OR squirt an couple of shots of TWC-3 into each carb while the engine is running.

Look for mouse damage to wiring.

jamma007

Recruit
I checked the Carbs, they had a little Varnish, so I have cleaned them with Carb cleaner. I had not even considered the thermostat. Good call.

Funny you should mention the critters. I dont see any wire damage but the live well lines are all toast. Evidently they liked using them as an express way and made their own exits. I am going to check the bilge lines and for the moment plug the live wells.

Thanks for the help Frank, This is all a little new to me. I have been tinkering with cars for a while but this is my first boat project.