emergency. i need serious help. no sparks and no start but motor turns

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi and how are you? please I need help urgently.

I have a 1995 bayliner boat with a force 120hp engine.

the engine I had on it when I bought the boat, seize on me and crank stop turning. I was advised to rebuild it or buy another . I went online and found a 1997 power head force 120hp..

I took the seized engine out and dropped in the engine I bought from online. tried to start it, the engine turns just fine, good compression but not starting. it has good gas. Why is gas spilling out from the carb when they those black cover at the back of carb. tiny splash coming out.

I am using all the electrical/ignition components and setup from the old engine on this engine.

do I need to replace the stator, trigger to a 1997 force or the one from the old motor should work fine. the old motor trigger, stator and rectifier are new.

the flywheel from the old engine did not fit on the engine I bought online. the crank on the new engine is bigger so I had to buy a flywheel that fit on the engine.

why am I not getting good spark. with a tester some cylinder has tiny bit of sparks.

next problem, I cannot set the lower unit gears. when I move the gear and throttle control from the driver seat it moves forward and backward but the lower unit is not changing gears or go into neutral. I took lower unit out to replace impeller and put it back on.

help please

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
First do a compression test. Even though it's supposed to be good.
You need to take the new flywheel off and make sure the key is in right.
What year is the flywheel?
There is a difference in the stator for a 95 and a 97 The charging system is different.
Your stator/ ignition system might not be the right stuff??
Take off flywheel, remove the stator and do a dry fit in the flywheel.
See how much clearance between the stator and flywheel.
Your probably gonna need the whole electric system for the 97.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you for your response

the engine I bough online is a 97 and the flywheel is a 97. what electric components will I have to change. the stator, trigger and rectifier and what else.

what is the key and how those it look like. can you please post a picture .

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Here's a pic of the wheel.
The parts: trigger, stator, rectifier, coils and wiring harness.
Pretty much everything.

Attachments

• photo221519.png
    photo221519.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 0

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you.
so you are recommending that I buy a new stator, trigger and rectifier. will have to change the boat wiring system. like the big cable with the head with many pins that comes to the engine area.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you so much. the key is in the right place. i tried to open the link you posted but it is not opening for me . it gives me an error message. thank you.

pls check the link or write up the list of item that i will need.

just one more question how to adjust the lower unit to stay in neutral and to go into the forward gear when i move the control stick forward and backward.

it looks it spring loaded and it will spring back out of gear

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi and how are you? thank you for responding to my thread.

pls list down all the parts that i need for the 97 force 120hp engine. i am running into a problem. it looks like my ignition parts from a 1995 force 120hp are not working on a 1997 force 120. i got all parts mounted on the engine but no start but engine turns. compression is good. when i check for spark , i can only see a small spark.

thank you.

it will be very helpful if you have pic of a 97 force and how the parts are installed and their location. i just want to see the left side and right side.

how do i adjust the lower unit to get it to shift in forward, reverse and neutal gear .