1998 Mercury Force 40hp

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1998 Mercury Force 40hp..I just got the motor and boat and I noticed there was very little water coming out of the tail tail..So I change the impeller and I am having the same issue.. I sprayed some carb cleaner up the tail tail as instructed by Mercury to see if there was something stopping the water flow that didn't help. I am getting a mist out of the tail tail instead of a stream of water. The motor starts and runs for about 200 to 300 yards and dies. I can feel the motor getting very hot. And the mist that is coming from the tail tail is very hot. I have no clue what could be stopping the water. I believe the motor is running hot that is way it's dying. I just need to know where to start to get the water flowing from the water pump.

Mav6759

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the impeller needs to be changed or installed right.
If the impeller is in right and it still won't flow?
Then remove the thermostat and see if it's stuck?

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you ran it without the cowling on? If so, have you seen any water our exhuast in the cowling.

I have a 96 Force 50, (smaller carbs ect) and I have had an on going issue with the adapter plate gaskets blowing out. What it sounds like is your adapter plate gasket is blown, thus filling your cooling passages with exhuast. That would explain the mist coming from your tell tail. If the gaskets are blown, it will also fill your cowling with exhuast fumes, thus choking out your motor, causing it to die so quickly.

I would run the motor on some muffs and see if your have water or exhuast coming from the base of the motor where it bolts to the lower leg