My starter engages the fly wheel but then just the shaft spins and not the teeth part

Staniewski

Recruit
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to why when I go to start my boat motor the starter goes up, engages the flywheel, turns the flywheel about 1/4 turn, then the teeth stay engaged to the flywheel but the shaft of the starter continues to spin inside the starter piece that goes up to the flywheel. I never got much of a chance to look at it because I had to go to work but I could use help with a what to "start looking at" when I get home. I did spray some lubrication on the teeth earlier. (some got on the shaft too) I did not think that that would cause it to slip that much would it? Any Ideas would be appreciated....It is a 1987 Force 125 if that may make a difference...

Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: to iboats Stan. Glad to have you join us...

Okay sounds like you need a new bendix for your starter. If the starter shaft is spinning and the teeth are not spinning, you need to replace the upper portion of your starter with a new bendix. Remove it and if you have a local starter rebuild shop, see if they have that part and replace it. Of course you could always replace the entire starter as well. But that is up to you and your pocketbook... JMHO!

Staniewski

Recruit
Ok thanks I will remove it in the morning and call around to some local shops and see if they can rebuild it. If not I see them on Ebay for about $75 US with shipping which is not too bad. Thank you for the quick reply.

Jiggz

Captain
It's either the stop nut at the top is not set properly hence the bendix reaches the thread free top thus freely spinning the shaft or the bendix or the sahft has lost its thread. Check the stop nut first and make sure the spring is still in there.

Staniewski

Recruit
Ok I will check that in the morning. Thank you...I have been reading this forum a lot since I bought this boat and there are a lot of good guys with great advice!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The bendix is a throw away.
IF???? You sprayed it with anything and got it up inside then it's junk.
The rubber in the bendix is just like the rubber in the prop hub.
Once it's spun it's trash.

The starter is easy to work on.
Take it apart and clean the crud out of the bottom.
A wire brush and Dawn soap with water is all I use.
Once you reinstall the bendix.
A tiny bit of grease on the worm gear is all you need .