Lower unit leak

gman2310

Seaman Apprentice
Just changed water pump on lower unit, put it back together and now it leaks where the bolts that hold the lower unit on. I have video but unable to upload.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
did you change the gasket under the stainless plate ? Or how about the water pump seal that is in the center of the housing (it my be dry rotting) Just what came to mine right off.

gman2310

Seaman Apprentice
I changed everything with kit, 2 paper gaskets, metal gasket and impellor

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
What year and size engine? If it is an early Force 3 or 4 cylinder engine there are two weep holes right near two of the mounting bolts. Water from here is normal.

gman2310

Seaman Apprentice
I apologize, it is a ealry 90's 150 hp outboard. I dont believe they are weep holds, I am thinking it did not seat properly. I can send anyone the video if you give me email address to help get a visual.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No apology necessary-- I have probably seen your engine in other posts but I am old and don't remember S*** LOL

In the lower unit there are two blind cavities, one on either side of the water pump. These cavities MUST be drained to avoid corrosion Thus there are two weep holes just in front of the mounting bolts. Draining is normal, sometimes with a little spent oil--you just never noticed it before.

Last edited: