changing reeds help

93_cherokee

Cadet
Hello. I just joined the site, I have a 73 Chrysler outboard 75 HP i am trying to restore. I have re done the entire floor, seats, installed a stereo, have cleaned all 3 carbs, replaced all the fuel lines, all the gaskets on the intake, and I inspected the reeds through the intake but I can't figure out how to get them out. Can anyone give me some input on how to change them? Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You can see all the reeds by looking through the carb opening in the manifold. Unless you actually see a broken reed, see rust or corrosion, or want to replace with aftermarket reeds, don't bother replacing them. In your case I do not recommend after market reeds because there will not be enough performance gain to offset cost. The only advantage is that they are composite material and will not damage the engine if they break.

To replace the reeds you need to remove the carbs and manifold. very likely the gasket(s) will break and need replacing. The reed Vee blocks are held to the back of the manifold by two angled bolts in the front of the manifold for each Vee block. Then the Vee blocks will probably be stuck on the gasket and you will need to pry them off.

After the blocks are off each set of reeds is held by 5 small screws. Use a new screwdriver of the correct size so you don't **** up the screw slot. The reed sets will probably bee 4 reeds on one plate and a single reed to make up the set of 5.

You will need three new gaskets. These gaskets are the same for all three cylinder Chrysler engines and the 85 and 90 HP Force Round tipped reeds are not specific for year and were used on Chrysler 20 on up to 140. Early white Forces used the same reeds but later Force engines used a square tipped reed which will not fit your Vee blocks or engine.

Understand that you have a 200 dollar engine IF IT RUNS so don't invest too much money in it. Don't fix things that 'aint broke!

Last edited:

93_cherokee

Cadet
OK thanks frank. It runs good as it is but its hard to start and at wot it has a hesitation. That's the only reason I want to even bother with the reeds. I looked through the intake holes and didn't see any broken reeds so I put it back together. Hopefully its off to the lake this weekend to test it out