Chrysler 140 Steering Stuck

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer
So I've had 3 or so seasons of trouble free operation because of all the advice from this forum and especially Frank Acampora. But unfortunately this year I've run into a problem. Last season the steering was very tight. This year I've found it completely stuck. I read through some threads and found some advice but haven't had much luck. I disconnected my steering cable to make sure that wasn't the problem. I pumped fresh grease into the fitting on the kingpin, plenty of grease comes out the bottom but none from the top. I heated up one side of top section with a heat gun and pumped in more grease, then heated the other side and pumped in more grease. It still won't budge.

Any other tricks or should I break out the motor stand and get to work on pulling the powerhead?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You don't need to pull the power head. You need to do the nasty job of removing transom clamps, power t/t (if it has it) lower motor mount, and swivel yoke. You may also need to remove the carbs and drive the kingpin out of the lower cowl.

What happens id that the swivel corrodes and swells. This grabs the plastic sleeves at the top and bottom of the kingpin. You need to sand the rust off the kingpin and sand out the aluminum corrosion inside the yoke. You also need to resize the plastic sleeves since they will be too small to slip easily on the kingpin--that is, if you can get them off. Depending upon how severe the damage is, you may be better off buying a whole swivel and kingpin off a good junker engine.

I can't send or receive PMs but I believe you know where I live and may still have my phone number.. I have a couple of good midunits with free moving swivel and kingpin. It might just be easier to replace the power head on a good midunit.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer
I was afraid that was the problem. Like everyone I was hoping for an easier fix. Same corrosion happend on the motor cover latch. You told me that was the issue a few years ago when I was up there. Took it apart drilled it out and greased it up, now I don't need to eat my wheaties to open the motor cover.
I think I have a spare motor bracket from a parts engine I got on craigslist. I'll check my parent's house. I need to rebuild my trim cylinders anyway. I still have your number if I can't find the motor bracket.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer
So revisiting this problem. I got it moving enough last season to get a few trips out but wanted to fix it right. I pulled the motor from the boat, removed the power head from the mid leg today. I tried to remove the kingpin by beating on it from the top with a socket and my trusty big hammer and it wouldn't budge. I even tried an air hammer and it didn't move a bit. Am I missing anything?