Chrysler L drive

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All

I was driving my kids to soccer yesterday and noticed an older boat on the side of the road. It had an L drive ( mercruiser) set up, but the leg was all white and it had the 'cone' on the end of the prop, which makes me ask, per the topic of the thread, did Chrysler ever make an L drive?? I can go back and take pictures if need be, but I would think that some of the knowledge here would save me the drive;-)

Over to you.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
L Drive refers to a specific engine/outdrive with a 2 cycle engine inboard made only by Force. Chrysler DID make a 4 cycle I/O and they did put it in hulls as small as their 16 footer. Memory is fuzzy but the outdrive MAY have been Volvo.

Nordin

Commander
Justinde, pics please. It would helps us. As Frank says it can be a Volvo Penta Aquamatic. Volvo started with the Aquamatic in late 50,s I Think in 1959 and it was an I/O equiped with a fourstroke 4 cylinder engine actually a car engine converted for marine use.
The first one called AQ 100 had a no thrue prop exhuast and the prop had a cone just like Chrysler OB.

To check it had a Volvo decal on the housing just at the bevel gear.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

The Volvo used a nosecone to secure their props on a LOT of different units.
From the 270 to the 280 even some290's and duo-props.
The white could be a washed out Volvo Green

Attachments

• photo221048.jpg
    photo221048.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No, not washed-out green. Early Chrysler used a dove white color on all their engines and outdrives. Later they switches to a very light tan color.