1974 Chrysler 609HA bad coils

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1974 Chrysler 609HA with 2 cracked coils, I cannot find any replacement coils at all anywhere. Does anyone know where I might be able to find some that will work in the engine?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: gillie to iboats. Good to have you aboard!

I actually did a search on your engine's model number and I can't find a 1974 60HP Chrysler engine listing anywhere. I found lots of other Chrysler models but not 609HA. But I will tell you that other HP series in that year model have coils but they are really expensive. So if you do find your model engine and can find the proper coils, it is going to cost you a pretty penny to buy them... Have you actually checked yours and know they are not working? I understand you stated they are cracked, but do they still work? If so, you may have to coat them with some epoxy to seal them again and use them... IDK :noidea:

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
i have checked and checked to find the coils myself, and its almost like the motor doesn't exist. i havent been able to find any info on them at all.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 0

Nordin

Commander
That engine should be equiped with the MAG II ignition. Ignitionparts for it is hard to find but try Franzmarine he may have.
CDI Electronics had a replacement kit 474475K2 but it is disconntinued.

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
so i am very new to boats and engines but very willing to learn, does anyone know if this is a gas/oil mix for the engine or just straight gas? its an electric start

Nordin

Commander
It is a two stroke with no automixer. You have to mix self. Ratio 50:1.

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I have redone the gas line(sounded like it had air In the line), and purchased a new coil for the bad one(waiting on it in the mail), checked all spark plugs and sprayed some carb cleaner into the carbs without disassembling them, should I take the carbs off and clean them or should I wait until I get the new coil? Don't know if it's supposed to fire with only one coil getting spark. Any ideas? Anyone? Please help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ok so I have redone the gas line(sounded like it had air In the line), and purchased a new coil for the bad one(waiting on it in the mail), checked all spark plugs and sprayed some carb cleaner into the carbs without disassembling them, should I take the carbs off and clean them or should I wait until I get the new coil? Don't know if it's supposed to fire with only one coil getting spark. Any ideas? Anyone? Please help.

If you think the carb could be suspect, buy a carb kit and remove it and clean it properly while you wait on the other coil. That way you will accomplish the carb rebuild and can remove that for the list of possible issues... JMHO!

gillie262

Seaman Apprentice
got it to fire with a lot of carb cleaner last night, but wouldn't stay running for more than a second or 2. could it be the carbs are dirty? or could it be that only 1 of the coils isnt producing enough to get one cylinder up and running? is it bad to run with only one cylinder firing? dont want to burn out any of the parts that are working but want to make sure this will keep running and starting everytime. thanks