1978 Chrysler105hp buzzing 2 minutes after start

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
Hi there,

I have just bought a very old boat of Chryster 105HP,year is 1978. It buzzes 2 minutes after it starts. and shut it off ASAP. I asked marina if they can fix but they refused to test my boat. Anyone give me some advice.

Thank you

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The buzzer is an overheat warning. first thing to do is replace the impeller. Then, check the thermostat. It is a shame that the mechanics won't work on it because parts are still available.

Removing the lower unit to replace the impeller is relatively easy and although I don't know if you have a one piece or two piece lower unit disassembly is the same.

Remove the exhaust snout (one 5/8 flat head hex and usually one 5/16 allen head bolt inside the rear of the snout. Then remove the hidden bolt inside the rear of the lower unit. Detatch the shift linkage under the kingpin and remove the six retaining bolts from the lower unit. It should drop right down

There will be four 3/8 head bolts holding the water pump. remove them and slide the pump and impeller up the drive shaft. DONT lose the small woodruff key that drives the impeller.

Slise the new impeller down the drive shaft and over the key. Slide the pump down and lubricate both parts with soapy water. Turn the drive shaft clockwise (looking down) while you push down on the pump. You probably will not find the impeller here at iboats but you should be able to find it on boats.net or other sites. You can also contact franz at franzmarine .com@aol

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No, I'm not Franz. I'm Frank. Franz is an old Chrysler dealer located out in Michigan, USA.

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Frank, thank you for your replying. Now my boat is fixing in Toronto. I have another question. What is the capacity for the boat? How many people can be hold? thank you

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If it is a 1978 boat it should have a capacity plate indicating max horsepower and max persons at 150 pounds each OR max weight including the engine ,battery, and fuel tank.

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
Thank Frank. I did the replacement for a broken impeller according to your guide and has saved some money. thank you.