1987 85hp Force- No Spark issues

sirrob281

Cadet
Hey guys yesterday we got the boat out for the first time this year. It started right up on the first time as usual and ran great to our fishing spot. When we went to leave it wouldn't start. Once we got home we found that none of the 3 plugs has a spark. My first guess is going to be the stater but would it go bad like that with no warning signs. We did check the wires from the stater and it doesn't appear to have any power coming from them also. We did replace the stater a few years ago so would it have gone that fast. Any suggesting would be great.

Jiggz

Captain
Having no sparks has nothing to do with the starter motor. Instead, it has more to do with the following, considering there is no spark at all, "Kill switch" This is the switch with a lanyard that is designed to kill the engine in case the driver gets thrown off the boat or of his/her seat to turn off the motor and avoid a ghost boat running by itself.

This is with the assumption the motor is cranking meaning the starter is actually engaging and turning over the engine. Now if the starter is not turning over nor do you hear any clicking sound from the starter solenoid, then the neutral switch needs to be checked.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
There are tests for the stator on outboardignition.com. Same thing happen to me a few years back. Wouldn't start after stopping to swim

sirrob281

Cadet
The engine turns over fine. i disconnected the kill switch and still no spark, checked for broken wires didn't see anything,

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Jiggs, he said stator not starter :)

Do the tests from outboard ignition.com
The stator can last 30years or more or an hour??

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Jiggs, he said stator not starter :)

Do the tests from outboard ignition.com
The stator can last 30years or more or an hour??
Look at the flywheel and check the magnet.
The glue might have given loose and the magnet is not spinning with the wheel??

sirrob281

Cadet
Just a silly question but when testing the kill switch we also disconnected the magneto, which is the kill switch I believe? From what we can tell right now I have no power coming from the stator at all

Jiggz

Captain
The kill switch is located by the driver's dash board. So I am not really sure why you would disconnect the "magneto" unless you are disconnecting the shunt wires of the CDM's from the engine terminal board and the wires are colored White. The wires from the stator feeding the CDM's are colored yellow and blue and there are two pairs, one for each CDM unit. These yellow and blue wires should be connected to the CDM units to power them and hence spark. Can you post pic of what kill switch and magneto you disconnected?

sirrob281

Cadet
Hey guys sorry for the delay but haven't really had a chance to work on the ol girl. I did replace the stator and got a spark on all 3 plugs! The only thing is it back fired and ran very rough meaning the wires aren't right all tho i replaced the wires exactly to the old stator. I did replace the trigger and not the stator a few years back along with new CD boxes so with everything being relatively new with all CDI products I can follow the wiring diagram that didn't work before. I will keep you posted.

sirrob281

Cadet
well after switching 2 wires the engine runs the best it has in years. The power is back and runs extremely smooth which makes me wonder if the stator has been going bad for a while. Thanks guys for your help!!