force 120 impeller..replace

daveywonder

Seaman Apprentice
I have got my 120 force running pretty smoothly, with the help of skidad,and afew others here, however the water is not streaming out the 2 pee-holes, just spitting with the muffs on. Did not run her long, 2 min....Question is...can I replace the impeller without screwing up anything? I am fairly useful with tools and a decent amount of common sense...conservative if that means anything thinking wise...:rolleyes: the year I have no idea, not older than the 90's I suspect. looked at videos, but is this something I need a pro to do??? tks. daveywonder:confused:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
What you're seeing is normal. Most of the time, you won't see a solid stream of water from the 2 exhaust relief ports. The water kind of spits out with the exhaust pulses.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Replacing the impeller the first time, by yourself can be challenging, but is very doable. It's much easier the second time or with a helper. If the impeller is more than a couple years old, its probably a good idea to replace it regardless. ..... When you say there is no water from the pee hole, are you speaking of the hose that runs from the thermostat housing through a hole in the engine cover? If so, try running the engine with the cover and the hose removed. I discovered wasps had filled my hose with dried mud, so it would not let the water out.

Last edited:

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Daveywonder,
If you post some photos of your engine with and without the cover, and of the ignition system area, some of the experts here can give you a very good idea of what year engine you have.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
A pic of the lower unit will help.
Changing the impeller isn't hard.
Top posts in this forum is a few links that will help.

daveywonder

Seaman Apprentice
you are right pnw.....however the actual steady-stream of water wasn't coming out the side hole as it should. the 2 exhaust holes just below the hood do exactly as you said, spit some water. I am having a nearby boat repair shop replace the impeller. 200.00 for the job.....the larger boat dealers wanted 300 to 350 to do the job. tks. for your imput......