87 force 50hp got fish bites

So first time on the lake this year and my engine seems to buck every now and then boat got winterzed and I used stabil in gas new plugs felt like the motor had a fish bite here and there thanks for any thoughts carb adjusted 1 and half out does seems to run fine other than that

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your running lean, did you run the motor with stabilized fuel before storing or just throw it in the tank and walk away?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try adjusting the air screw again.
Fresh gas, make sure there is no water in the fuel.
Motor warm and in gear.On a trailer or tied to a dock.

Turn the airscrew in 1/8th of a turn.
Wait 10 seconds for the fuel to burn at the new setting.
Then repeat until the motor kicks, buck, stalls.
Then out 1/2 turn.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You may have poorly adjusted shift linkage or the drive dogs may be wearing. Try running the engine while you manually force the shift into forward. If this solves the problem then adjust the linkage. If it does not solve the problem and it gets worse with time, you may have worn drive dogs in the lower unit.

Well I got to looking at my new plugs they are covered in carbon looking like a de carb is needed I'm going to try it and let u guys know

Frank its does the fish bites all the time in gear full throttle and idle! jerry jerry when adjusting the air screw does the motor need to be at idle in gear or a little throttle thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Idle.
Bucking in gear under throttle is a clutch dog.(Frank)
I didn't read it right the first time.

Even once ever 5min or so how can I test the clutch dog jerry it does the same exact thing in neutral in the driveway in a bucket

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take us a pic of those plugs fishin, im thinking lean but you said carbon on the plugs, lean plugs eat up the center and are brownish red. The others may help you on rich, ive never had a 2 cycle run rich on me. I still think your running lean and dealing with a carb issue or an improperly sealed block. Evinrudes block sealer is on my S list today

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Now you add another thing.
You should give every bit f info all at once.

First it sounded like a carb adjustment.
Then a clutch dog.
Then you added the neutral thing and it goes back to the carb.
Get a can of starting fluid.
Start the motor.
As it idles spray the SF into the carb.(just a VERY tiny bit)
It will make the engine stall or stumble.
Ten after it recovers.
Spray around the base of the intake and all around the motor
If it stumbles/stalls it's sucking air.

The carb, been cleaned?
Take the air screw out and see if there is any damage on the end or on the taper.

Well I tried to upload pictures but they exceed the limit but today I was decarbin her and seemed to run better but still had some fish bites but I turned in the air screw and it picked up speed idled way better so tomorrow I'll be heading back to the lake and I'll adjust the carb per jerryjerry and get back at u guys thanks for all the helpful info this is my first boat motor and 2 stroke ever I work on cars and some of tow trucks here and there if you guys ever need any obd 1 or 2 help give me a hollar