Shifting problem. Cables or Controls?

cjslapshot

Recruit
1994 90hp Force. Last night I was pulling into my slip and when I tried to shift into reverse the boat stayed in forward. I managed to just skim the dock lightly buy I noticed that even when I started the motor in the neutral position that it would be in forward. The neutral safety switch thinks that I'm in neutral so the motor will crank but is always in gear. When I put the throttle in reverse it will rev slightly and stay in forward. Do I need to start looking at new controls for $300 or does it sound like a less expensive cable problem. Also, can I order any Mercury 10ft cable or is it specific to the model?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Take a look at the cable connections on the motor. Maybe the clamps that holds the cable(s) in place on the motor has come loose?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Possible?? The shift cable is corroded or possible the shift mechanism at the drive is corroded.
I'd unhook the cable at the motor and shift by hand.
If the motor won't shift then? it's in the lower.
Try the shifter after it's unhooked for correct travel.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Might just need some adjustment at the motor end. There is no adjustment in the control for cables except maybe for the neutral safety switch.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Take a look at the cable connections on the motor. Maybe the clamps that holds the cable(s) in place on the motor has come loose?

that's the same thing I was thinking :)