1993 70hp force outboard motor

roytgarcia

Recruit
i purchased 1993 16 'bayliner,70hp focre 2-15,have taken it out twice,and i think it mite have a charging issue,garmin 160 depth finder system voltage display,shows 11.9 to 12.3 on low and high rpms,at battery on my fluke 87 shows about the same,i don't have a dva to check stator output two yellow wires,but on my fluke set @ vac it shows about 4.6 vac,replaced voltage regulator. now with fluke @ battery 12.1-12.6 vdc @ low and high rpms,i thought it should read
12 vdc idle 14 vdc high rpm,i dont think i have a bad stator output because the motor runs great at all rpms.what should the stator vac output be @ two wellow wires measureing with fluke 87 vom Thanks, Roy

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
You should have 12 - 16 VAC on the two yellow stator wires when connected to the voltage regulator, and the motor running. The stator has two separate windings. One for the ignition system, and one to charge the battery. The resistance of the battery charging winding should be about .6 Ohms. Almost a dead short, but not quite. Make sure you disconnect the yellow wires from the harness when checking resistance.

roytgarcia

Recruit
my power head has 4 wires coming out of it, that connect to voltage regulator, 2 yellow ac output from the stator,1 red charge to battery,1 gray to tach. WITH NOTHING CONNECTED what should the ac output be on yellow wires coming out of power head,i'am using a fluke 87,when i put my leads across the yellow wires i get 4.6 vac