Force 50 Starts and idles rough

Evinrude_NooB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last year I acquired a 'Free' boat with a Force 50. Spring is here and I started looking at the motor. I don't know what year the motor is because the plate faded. Long story short, I removed the cowl, cleaned all the junk/gunk in there, cleaned the carb, removed plugs and spray sea foam in chambers, compression tested (~120 on upper and lower), and cleaned the fuel pump.

After all that, I went to start it and it started. However, it idles rough and will stall if I don't keep my hand on the the throttle. Can anyone suggest what I need to look at next?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jiggz

Captain
You need to find out if the carbs idle air mixture screw is set right, 1-1 1/8 turn out from slightly seated. If it is set right, you need to find out if the float level is set right also. Finally, if it is still rough idling, try to figure out which cylinder is misfiring by doing the plug wire technique If you cannot localize it to one cylinder, it's most likely electrical. But first, check the spark plugs making sure none are fouled. Replaced if necessary.

Evinrude_NooB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the tips. I will try this weekend. I'm going try try find out the serial on this baby again, too. The plugs in there looks 'ok'. I'll get new ones anyway since they aren't that costly.

You need to find out if the carbs idle air mixture screw is set right, 1-1 1/8 turn out from slightly seated. If it is set right, you need to find out if the float level is set right also. Finally, if it is still rough idling, try to figure out which cylinder is misfiring by doing the plug wire technique If you cannot localize it to one cylinder, it's most likely electrical. But first, check the spark plugs making sure none are fouled. Replaced if necessary.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Remove the float bowl, any crud?
Crud: Clean the carb making sure all the tiny holes are clear.
Rebuild the fuel pump and install a filter between the carb and the pump.
Then do what Jiggz suggested.