1967 35hp impeller questions.

lakerlife

Recruit
IMG_3430.JPG Im trying to get this old motor another chance at life. I dropped the lower unit to further inspect the water pump. The impeller is sandwiched between two steel plates and with one plate fixed in the housing. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be seal on the shaft. The impeller doesn't fit super tight on the drive shaft making me think that it can't do its job. It seems like all other impeller housing have seals on the shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

woodstockmarine

Seaman Apprentice
go to (boats dot net) and look up your motor. they have complete blow out drawings of components and you can see all the parts that should be there.

lakerlife

Recruit
the earliest models i can look up are in the 70's. the newer impeller housing are 4 bolt unlike mine that has three. Im just not sure of compatibility.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There is a place in Prudenville, Mi. Called Valley Sales.
He's on the net. He knows these old Chryslers inside out.
Contact him.

Nordin

Commander
The early Chryslers with three bolts housing did not have any seal to the shaft. The stainlessteel plate inside the housing act as a seal.
It will work without a seal.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
And I THINK--not 100% sure--that the impeller is the same for almost all year Chrysler 35, 45, 50, and 55 Horsepower engines. Definitely use an impact screwdriver on the water pump flat head screws. They tend to corrode into the aluminum casing and if you use a hand screwdriver, especially one that is too small for the slot, you will ****-up the slots in the screw heads. When you replace them, use some kind of non-copper anti-seize or grease.