Water pump discharge

Rricci

Cadet
I have a small 1979 9.9 Chrysler
I have had problems since it was sold to me last year I had it running yesterday but I think I have a problem with the waterpump. I did not see water coming from 2 slots where the exhaust seems to come out Reading the manual I have it sounds like that is where the water should discharge. If so then would anyone know if replacement parts are available ?
Thanks for advice in advance

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Change the impeller.
Ah well after some research, apparently those weep holes are just an overflow. All the pump does is spray water up the tube at the bottom of the motor and the majority drains out the exhaust..

Rricci

Cadet
Thx Jerryjerry05. Is it easy enough to get at? Located down By the water intake?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The water pump is located right about where the lower unit attaches. You need to remove the four bolts holding on the lower unit. It will partially drop and you must reach in the slot to disconnect the shift linkage. The bolt should either be a slotted or an allen head. After dropping the lower unit, the water pump is held on with four screws or bolts. Remove them and slide the pump up the drive shaft. The impeller may come up with the pump or it may stay down on the lower unit. If the lower unit drops easily, the job is simple.

IF the lower unit does not drop, the drive shaft may be stuck in the crank shaft. If this happens, force the lower unit down. The drive shaft will stay in the engine but can be removed later. The top seal for the water pump will be ruined by the drive pin and will need to be replaced.

Rricci

Cadet
Thanks frank . Very thorough. Any recommendations where to order supplies from?