Are chrysler outboards any good?

wpg manitoba

Seaman
There is a guy selling an 1984 20hp chrysler for $450. He says it works allright. I am not familiar with chrysler outboards. Is there parts available for this motor? I called the guy selling it and he says there lots of parts available for it. I have the link to the add on the bottom. If you check the picture on the add does it look like an 84? The style of it seems to look more like a late 70 but like I mentioned earlier I don't know anything about these motors so I am not sure what it's supposed to look like.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...or/1065675490?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
It is not a question of "Are they any good." Chrysler engines are old school design with a block design that goes back about 40-50 years. They run well but will produce less horsepower than modern engines and use a bit more fuel.

As with all outboards, running well depends almost completely upon maintenance and care of the engine.Keep the correct 50-1 fuel mix in it and see to basic maintenance needs and the engine may well run long after you die.

Parts can be found but you generally need to do a little work to find them. Chrysler engines looked similar from the late 70s to the early 80s. the only real way to tell is by the model number

450 is a little bit expensive but if you really want the engine and it has been maintained as well as it appears to be then it is not a completely ridiculous price and may well be worth dickering for. See if you can get 25 or 50 bucks off. Feel adventurous? Try lowballing at 350 for a start and see what he says.

Nordin

Commander
That 20Hp is not a 1984 year model. It is from 1973-75 and has an starter/alternator mounted on the top of the flywheel.
The 20Hp from 1984 was from the 25, 30, 35Hp engine family. In late 70.s Chrysler started to rate the engine at the prop and the 25 became 20Hp.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I owned a 10hp in the early '70s. The carb was temperamental, but I couldn't kill the thing so I could buy a Johhny-Rude. Wrung the prop off, though, twice ...