Chrysler 105hp new owner questions .

George Pan

Seaman
No Title

News update.

Today i did 40 miles totally . I had again only the symptom of stalling 2 times at the end of the day .
i had already add a fuel filter after the priming pump . Both of 2 times fuel filter was empty !!!

So i think that somewhere i had a leak.
An other problem is that the joint of the power trim is failed . Do you know how i could change it ?

Propeller of Force engine that i have has these numbers 77344-17 so maybe is small for me .

I have find a used aluminium propeller Mercury 48-78120-19 for 120 euro is the code that i am looking for ?
Also a Powertech 4 blade stainless 14.25x19 for 250 euro .

Attachments

• photo232223.jpg
    photo232223.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

George Pan

Seaman
I change all the fuel lines. Clean the filter . Check for leaks etc ... Change Spark plugs . Yesterday i had the same symptom . Stalling during the cruising . After the stall (engine not working was off) i heard a weird noise from the engine . Something like a high frequency and the rpm meter gone crazy to the limit and back again .

i am getting confused with this problem .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you have not installed a new impeller you have made a big mistake !

George Pan

Seaman
Engine is stalling and after this i start again normally . Water is getting out with good flow . Why do you think is an impeler problem ? I listen the noise something like electric not mechanic .

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
According to Nordin, (hope he will chime in here) some of there electronic ignition systems will make a high pitched squeal when the key is on and the engine is not running. As for the stalling, check the wires where they go under the flywheel. There was no factory installed wire guard and sometimes the wires will rise into the flywheel from normal running vibration. They rub off the insulation and short on the flywheel, making the engine stall as surely as if you had turned off the key.

If, however, the fuel filter was empty then the stalling may very well be due to fuel starvation. Since you changed the fuel lines---etc. the problem nay be due to a bad pick-up inside the tank OR, that boat is a rough rider. It may be bouncing the tank enough to draw air at cruise.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Well the first MagnaPower I system made by Delta with two power transistors mounted on the CD modulebox made a "Hmmming" noise when keyswitch in ON position.
This because of powering the internal transformer in the CD box ,BUT this CD boxes was prior 1970-71 I believe.

Looking at the pic in this thread the engine do not have this CD box. It has the later Motorola made CD box.

CDI aftermarket CD box 115-3301 also have a high frequency pitched noise.
As the tacho goes crazy it sounds like the CD box dump voltage to ground. Check wires as Frank suggest.

Now I have not read through the whole thread but due to stalling problem and with the inlinefilter not filled up to half or empty.
Have you change the fuelpump diaphragm?
When stalling .....is the primerbulb soft?

Last edited:

George Pan

Seaman
Frank I change and the line inside the tank. I have the same symptom with full tank and flat sea.

Nordin thanks for your reply . Primer is always tight after the fuel line changes . Engine after the stall is not working flawlessly is like misfires .

Today update .

I did a very normal ride . At morning the sea was flat i never passed 3500rpm . No bounce or something else. Primer is always tight after the fuel line changes.

After ten minutes cruising, engine stall . Not immediately is stalling like misfire or not enough fuel .

After this is not starting. I try many times is getting spurk but not keeps the idle. I open the throttle and was helpfull to start but
after the start is not keep the idle . Idle is at 500-600rpm and when i open the throttle i feel the engine that is not working ok . Like misfire .

Ok .... calm and fish ....

I did some fishing with my trolling (backup) engine . After 3 hours i started the engine . All seems fine

i did some miles and after 10 minutes same problem .

This happened 3 times .

Symptom is now more clear .

Maybe misfires when the engine getting warm .

If is fuel my mind is going only to the pump .

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Okey maybe you have a problem in the CD box that is temperature related. Some component in the box that fails.
If you are able to get some cooling spray (for electronic use) try to spary at the box when issue appears and cool it down.
Then try to start and see what happens.

George Pan

Seaman
I have big problem to order from USA anything this time because we have capital control here in Greece . Paypal is disabled etc etc.

I can't order a CDI electronics ignition for the time. Used parts here for a stock magnapower are not exist too.

So the only solution i have is to buy a MSD street fire from the local distributor here .

I think will drive my optical distr .

George Pan

Seaman
No Title

Attachments

• photo232883.jpg
    photo232883.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232884.jpg
    photo232884.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232885.jpg
    photo232885.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0

George Pan

Seaman
No Title

News update !!!!

Finally i found an MSD here from local distributor . I plug it and my engine works flawlessly now !!!
I am waiting for paypal opens again and i will order one from CDI electronics . I decide to keep MSD as backup for the future.

I want to change my transmission oil . I have read carefully Frank's posts about the srcew that we never touch . For this reason i took some photos to ensure that i would not do any mistake. My engine has two bolts at the top one fill and one vent . I am not sure about the drain bolt.

Attachments

• photo233858.jpg
    photo233858.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo233859.jpg
    photo233859.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1

George Pan

Seaman
No Title

Hi guys . I have a strange symptom again . During Cruising engine is bogging and finally is stalling .After that is doing it randomly but not a too short period, I am not sure this happens two times at rough weather but i had full tank , maybe is a concurrence . Something else is that now at winter i have difficult cold start. I have already change my CDI with MSD . I haven't any other misfire or something similar. I am thinking the coil know . I test with the multimeter i have at primal 3.2ohm and at output 0.560Kohm. Also i clean all the spark plugs just in case ...

Attachments

• photo235486.jpg
    photo235486.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

tommarvin

Ensign
Its good and ok to clean a NGK BUHX with a green scotch bright pad, it extends the plugs life, and better performance ? Thanks