9.2hp Chrysler points wiring

bamaj

Seaman Apprentice
ive searched to old post and can not find an answer.i got an old 9.2hp(?)it's a 1965 I believe,wizard/Chrysler.model #oco6509a66.the points wires are stuck out from under flywheel,ones hook to condensor and other not hooked to anything.wondered if someone had a diagram of that wiring.have one ground wire that's grounde to motor.wanted to see if it fires before I buy a manual.it was a under the house find along with a 1967 clinton which I already have running.thanks for reading in advance.
jeff.

Nordin

Commander
Pics please and it is easier to help you. I think the wires are for the stop circuit.

bamaj

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin,I can't seem to get pics uploaded from my iPhone.there are three wires sticking out from from under the flywheel,two are black coming from the points(someone used auto condensers and they will not fit where they go under the flywheel,the other is a ground to the block.will any condensors work long enough to c if the motor will fire.and the ground was not hooked up to anything under the flywheel.ill c if I can get some help later tonight to figure out a way to get some pics up.the motor has 90# of compression and it's been sitting a long time so I think it's all about getting the coils and points hooked up right. thanks,jeff.

bamaj

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

maybe these will help,thanks.jeff

Attachments

• photo218832.jpg
    photo218832.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo218833.jpg
    photo218833.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo218834.jpg
    photo218834.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo218835.jpg
    photo218835.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0

bamaj

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin,those wires from under the flywheel are the condensor wires,it appears the person before me had condensors on outside of motor bolted to side of block for ground I guess,just trying to make something work.,they are car or lawnmower condensers.ill have to find some condensors that will work.any suggestions on after market ones.

Nordin

Commander
Really odd, I have never seen this before. Why put the condensers outside. Well new are not cheap but have to know the value of the condenser if you replace with something else. If wrong value you got trouble with burning the points from arcing.

My suggesten is replace with condensers that fit under the flywheel.
They are not cheap but all condensers from 4,5-30Hp with magneto ignition will fit. Master Tech has it, other supplier too I think. Partnumber is 18-5241 Sierra brand I think.

bamaj

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to order the condensors,if the coils turn out bad are there any replacements or will it be time to sell the motor as a parts motor. thanks Nordin.
jeff.

Nordin

Commander
You can find the coils on ebay or craiglist. Coils from 4,5 up to 30Hp with magneto will fit.

bamaj

Seaman Apprentice
thanks Nordin,I've ordered the condensors which will not be here until 28th or 29th,I've checked the foot oil and it had no water,going to ck the carb tday and c what it's like and order an impeller.i do not have a cowl and am lookn for one,I think I read where a 6hp hood would work but can't find the numbers to try to match them up.if the motor fires with new parts I'll order a manual and the other things I need and post results. thanks so much,
jeff.

bamaj

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin,and others that may be of help.i got new condensors in and installed them,I have spark on top cylinder and nothing at all on bottom.cleaned points and still nothing.can I swap points to opposite sides and check that way to c if points are bad and also ck the other coil that way for fire.is there any way to ck coils with muti meter?

Nordin

Commander
You can check the coil with a multimeter. The prime side of the coil (points side) thin wire to ground should read low, about 1-3 ohm.The secondary side (plug side) should read about 6-8,5 kohm from spakplug wire to ground. Ground is the common side of the two windings in the coil.
If you read 0-0,5 ohm at prime side the winding can be shorted. Because of low resistance in the prime winding it can be hard to know if it is okey or shorted.

Check the spring in the sparkplug boot, it can be rusted and it is stuck thru the high tension wire and it can be a bad connection there.
If there is a killcircuit on you engine (some was preperad with it, some not) check out it for grounding or shorting.

Yes you can swap points, condenser and coils between the cylinders.

Last edited:

bamaj

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin I swapped the points to opposite side and the motor went from firing on the top cylinder to firing on the bottom,I could not get a reading on the prime but evidently both coils are working since the firing changed with points swap(I'm thinking).so now I'll try to find points,have not been able to as of yet.coil reading on plug wire to ground were 7.1-7.2.if you kno anywhere to get points i appreciate ur knowledge,I deal some with tim's outboard out of Minnesota,so I'll ck with him.thanks for all the help so far.
jeff

Nordin

Commander
Before ordering new points check the gap and regap if you need. Should be 020 in with the points fully open.
Clean it and also check with your multimeter that there is continuity when points is closed. Should be 0,0-0,3 ohm depending on multimeter.
If bad contunity there will not build up any voltage in the coil when magnetic fiel from flywheel reach the top (strong) value. Then there would not create any spark in the plug.

bamaj

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin,I have good blue spark on bottom cyl,have a weak blue spark on top cyl.i lightly filed the points and they look like they could use a little more filing but I do not kno how far I can go without going too far on them.and the weak cyl is firing blue but sometimes it looks almost intermittent.thanks for you continued help.
jeff

Nordin

Commander
Have no more advise so far, check the continuinty of the points with bad spark, check spring in sparkplug boot for rust/bad connection. Regap points to 020.
Points sparparts number is F12153-1 BUT seams to be N/A. Check with Franz at Franzmarine he might have. He has everything that is available and even NOS parts.