50 hp force not running

Birdhunter_1

Recruit
Newbie to boats here. So last summer I got a 1990 bayliner Capri with a 50 HP force. It ran pretty good with a little bit of a mis. I had new plugs and a water pump put in her. Still mild miss. Well last weekend I changed the gearbox oil and my my, lots of water came out and then a little oil. I pumped it full of oil and then drained it to try and remove more contaminates and water then I filled it back up replaced the plugs with new seals and checked for leakage no problem. I took her out for a test drive and she started right up. (Still missing a bit) took off from the dock and she ran super super slow and everytime I hit a wake the engine would bog down. So I headed back to Marina and when I hit the no-wake zone i throttled down. At this point the force died and would not start back up. I got pulled the rest of the way by a huge ski boat. After I thanked the good simaritan for the tow I checked my fuel lines and had good flow of fuel and when I got home I pulled the carb off gave her a thorough cleaning and put new plugs in it. The starter still works it butt off to start the engine but nothing. Like I said before I am new at boating and so I have no idea what to do. Don't want to take it to the shop cause they are way overpriced( wanted 400 for a starter, I got one on eBay brand new for 80 bucks and installed myself last summer). Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks and have a great day

Rangers Lead The Way.

jdiesl

Cadet
im not a marine tech but i have a force 40 1994 and it (so far) has been fairly easy to work on. plenty of literature and the parts are available. im currently having trouble with mine not starting and i think we have it narrowed down to the stator. but i think this is a worst case scenario. do the trouble shooting and start ruling things out. guluc.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Bird, Welcome.
1st thing, do a compression test and then a spark check.
Those check OK? Then remove the flywheel and check for a sheared key.
Check the fuel pump diaphragm.
Post the results of the tests.

If there is no spark: outboard ignition . com has test procedures for your motors electronics.