water intrusion?

jdiesl

Cadet
when this unit was running i didnt think it was charging the battery properly. if i ever get the flywheel removed, can the stator be "cleaned" like an electric motor or is this a replacement?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
You can check the stator winding that charges the battery just like the windings for the ignition. It should read .6 Ohms. Almost a short so you have to have a meter that reads low Ohms. I haven't seen many battery windings go bad. Usually it's the regulator/rectifier.

Here's what the original stator looks like on the motor with the flywheel removed. The red thing. It's a sealed unit. It has two sets of coils. One set is used to create voltage for the ignition system, the other set is used for charging the battery. The magnets on the underside of the flywheel just barely clear the outer circumference of the stator.

stator1.jpg

The CDI replacement below looks a little different, and the resistance readings are a little different but it does the same thing.

174-9710K1.jpg

jdiesl

Cadet
pnwboat, i havent gotten round to taking the flywheel off. is the rectifier more likely to be the problem? this would have been disconnected from the stator when i tested. or is there something im missing? thanksya

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
It's hard to say what the problem is without performing some voltage tests with the engine running. First make sure all of the battery cables, both positive and negative are making good contact. Bad connections are a common problem.