Chrysler 35hp 1966? Lower unit and fuel questions

Chrysemys

Recruit
This is a classic got grandpa's old boat situation. From looking online, I believe the boat is a 1966 Lonestar Tracer. The motor is a Chrysler 35 hp ( model # 35601 serial # 1078). I started it up today and it seems to run okay. There is oil ( looks like thick milk) that leaks out of the water drain holes on the lower unit. When I got the boat, they said grandpa knew the lower unit had water issues and would just drain out the water after each use. What is the value of this method? As old as this motor is do I have other options( rebuild kit)? Any advice where to find a owners manual would also be helpful. Also is a 50:1 the right fuel to oil ratio?
I appreciate any info and any other advice on getting this boat back on the water.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome
The parts are still out there.
50-1 is right.
Just draining isn't a good idea.
One day the seals will go bad all the way and you'll be looking for a new lower cause they don't operate well with just water :(
I believe this site has links to manuals.

wickware

Lieutenant
search ?wickware? 1970 35 HP Chrysler Lower Unit Seals replaced at the address below (last 4 in the list and start on last 4 of 4 pages if needed. I?ll try to look back to see if you have any questions vs not looking daily now. I?m A Slow Grand Now. LOL! Not too active the last two years but hope to get better. There is a lot in the wickware searches on 35 HP Chryslers. I did all of my needs since 1984 and shared most with Pics. I used a Clymer manual that covered all of my needs.
  • Jow
Attached Files

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...due-problem-pics-need-help-please#post4370510

Chrysemys

Recruit
Thank you for the feedback. I have learned a little more about why there is a lower unit leak. Apparently there is a groove in the prop shaft that prevents a perfect seal. Is there a way to fix this without finding a prop shaft from another motor? Can you find speedi sleeves to fit prop shafts?

wickware

Lieutenant
Post a good close picture of the matter. Now I remember on a 1967 Ford Car?s U-Joint the wear could not be seen. A ?Double Seal? relocated the seal and solved the problem. I hope there is an option vs knowing. I feel you will get an answer soon.

Is Iboat not allowing log-in though Internet Explorer 8 (even though the site?s post are showing? I am only getting a log-in option in Chrome. Thanks!

wickware

Lieutenant
1. I used a double seal in the tail shaft of my 76 Ford?s Transmission to relocate the seal on the drive shaft?s yoke to seal the leak. The double seal was relocated on un-worn surface of the yoke (shaft). Is that a practice or something common on a lower unit?s prop shaft?

2. Using Internet Explorer I do not have a sign-in option. Using Chrome I am already signed-in which is good and new to me. I need to add I-boat as a favorite using Chrome vs my past IE. I feel my problem is Resist Updates and Extra Time on the computer.

3. How do I add Chrome?s Iboat page as a favorite to my Internet Explorer?s page favorites? Versus me Hacking as I have tried once. Thanks!