force 125 exhaust boot

dahphoher

Cadet
I have a 1988 force 125. The thing that's wrong is the exhaust boot leaks water and exhaust. I took it off to see if it was cracked, it is not. when I went to put on the motor leg cover I noticed it wasn't sitting right on the cover hole. I wanted to see if theres a special way of putting it on or a way I can fix it?
The picture is upside down. you can see the water Underneath it.
ezeaad.jpg

I've tried moving it around taking it off putting it back on. It seems like where it's leaking just moves around then leaks in different spots. Does anybody know of a way to fix this?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Does it have the spring inside it? Is the plastic ring that the spring rests against in the tapered end of the boot? Have mud wasps plugged up the relief holes in the rear cover?
It is correctly aligned as it sits in the photo.

Lastly: The steel clip tends to inadequately tighten the boot over the projection on the motor leg. Remove it and replace with a medium sized electrical zip tie. Be certain that the boot is pushed fully onto the leg and be certain the steel spring clip has not perforated the boot right where it clamps.

dahphoher

Cadet
Everything is there the spring and plastic ring. it doesn't look like there's any holes in the boot, and the relief holes are clear. I cleaned every thing up. I'll give the zip tie thing a try and see if that helps it, it might just the the spring clip getting loose.

dahphoher

Cadet
the zip tie looks like it work I'm not getting anymore exhaust in the crowl anymore. But it still dripping a little bit of water, is that normal?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
A little dripping water shouldn't hurt anything, however, it would be good to figure out which end of the boot the water is leaking from.

If it's leaking from the tie wrapped end, it's usually because the metal spring clip that was previously on it has torn a hole in it as Frank mentioned.

If it's leaking from the end that it pushed against the back cover it may eventually seal. The surface on the hole in the back cover is usually pretty rough and it may take a few heat cycles for the rubber boot to soften up and conform to the rough surface.

You can also take the back cover off, dab a small amount of silicone sealer on the sealing surface of the hole. As you reinstall it, guide the rubber boot into the hole with your hand and seat it firmly into the hole.

dahphoher

Cadet
It's leaking where the cover is. I actually thought about putting some silicon sealer on. I'll see how it is on the next couple outings I go on. thanks for your guys advice its much appreciated.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Did mine last year. Order a NEW boot kit as only $30 some bucks. That rubber is probably simple "tired" And toss that spring clamp as far away as ya can. Either a "tie" like Frank said, but I had no problem using a SS hose clamp.

dahphoher

Cadet
Where would i order a new boot kit from? I tried looking but i couldn't find any places that sells them.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Boat.net or Crowley marine I think. I have to go to town now but find it later today and post it.