1991 35hp Force outboard Installation Questions

Snaggin

Cadet
This is my first posting on the forums so please take it easy on a newbie...I'm so ready to get on the water!!!!
Id appreciate any and all assistance and guidance. I'm an old bank fisherman finally moving up in the world!!!

I just bought a 1991 35hp outboard for 150.00. The motor ran perfectly on the boat is was previously installed on. I have a couple concerns with the motor connections and steering system that I was hoping a few of you more experienced guys & gals could help steer me in the right direction with. No pun intended. I have little experience with this size of motor and more specifically the side mounted control wiring connections to the motor connection bar. Its quite obvious which connections go where due to the label inside on the motor but the confusion for me is in regards to the connections already made from other components and the color coding issues (not being exact). With the great deal I got on the motor I don't want to take any chances by learning as I go. Id love to have this thing on my boat and hitting the lake by summer!!! Along with that same issue I also have concerns with where the power supply connections are connected (from battery supplies) There seems to be a connection hub that feeds the electric starter which I can only assume plays some type of roll in the regards. I have included pictures to help aid my descriptions and lack of knowledge of parts and components. The other concern of mine is with the steering system. The purchase did include the old steering cable and steering wheel system. Unfortunately the cable was locked up and the steering "track" was pretty well rusted out. I will be purchasing a new cable kit (rack & pinion) that will work with the wheel I have. I have already determined the length that I will need. My only concern is making sure I have all other components to connect to the motor itself. For example, in the pictures I included there is the "tube" that holds the steering systems rack and pinion setup. The kits that I've been shopping for all show a "nut" that threads on to something on the previously mentioned "tube". My motors mounting hardware doesn't have anything for that "nut" to thread onto. So my question is, What is my motor missing for that connection to be made correctly? Secondly, are there any other parts not present that allow that system to be installed correctly? (rubber bushings, rubber washers or grommets). Those issues should pretty much cover the ares that I'm lacking knowledge and/or experience in.

Attachments

• motor5.jpg
    motor5.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
  • motor7.jpg
    motor7.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 0
  • motor8.jpg
    motor8.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The #3 pic shows the steering tube.It's been cut off. It's missing the threaded end where the steering cable fits. :(
F522125-1TUBE, PIVOT Not cheap.$70 Look on e-bay.
They start at $35 on e-bay
The connector strips. The colors were standardized in the 70's(?)
Look around you can find a power cable to fit. Again about $70
Look on e-bay they sometimes have a kit already with controls cable , even the key.

To supply power to the other parts of the boat you will need to run a cable to the front from the battery.

Saw this on e-bay 371298157769 Complete kit.
They have parts ranging from 39$ to $800(ridiculous).

Last edited:

Snaggin

Cadet
Thanks JerryJerry05! Thanks for the quick response. I noticed I left out important details in my original posting. I already have the exact side mounted controls you posted the link to. (on ebay) My concerns were with the locations of the wires according to the wiring label inside the motor. They are either dont match perfectly or already have connections made on the intended terminals. I have give careful thought about letting a local professional do that step for me to ensure its done correctly and also inspect for any issues that are present and overlooked by the amateur owner ( ha ha ha). Now, as for the steering....I believe I understand what is missing now. Essentially the "tube" resembles a hollow carriage bolt that has a nut that threads and locks the "tube" in place while allowing the steering cable to be inserted and threaded securely with the include nut. Is that what is missing? I included a picture of the item I found thanks to your link/suggestion.

Attachments

• pivot tube.jpg
    pivot tube.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That's what you need.
Pics of the controls you have?
Pics of the cable?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They should just match right up?