Throttle not working on 1991 Force 120

cobia17

Cadet
I just bought a 1990 cobia 1700 with a 1991 force 120 and I can't get the throttle to work. I replaced the cable but the throttle still wont work. It looks like three cam on the gear selector and cam from the throttle tower are meeting in same spot, not allowing throttle to move. I can't figure out how to adjust the cables so I can use throttle either in gear or neutral. I disconnected the shift cable and moved the shift mechanism so the shift cam would lower enough to clear the throttle cam. The throttle moves like this but very stiff and found that the trigger assembly under flywheel (where you adjust timing) is VERY tight. Is this normal or is there a way to make it move easier? A little help please

Jiggz

Captain
If you disconnect the cable from the engine throttle linkage (bottom of the timing tower - vertical rod connecting to the trigger plate timing mechanism) and the throttle control lever works perfectly, then the problem is with the engine throttle linkage or even the timing tower. However, if the throttle control lever is still very hard to move after disconnecting, then either the cable or the control lever mechanism has a problem. Additionally, with the cable disconnected from the engine throttle linkage, the timing tower with the rest of the carb's throttle linkage can be moved freely with very little effort or resistance. Otherwise, indicates a problem specific to this link mechanism.

cobia17

Cadet
Everything moves freely when I disconnect the top bolt of timing tower that connects to the timing trigger mechanism. The trigger mechanism (disconnected) is extremely tight. It slides if I put a lot of pressure on the tab (where it coonects to tower). Is there a way to loosen the trigger timing plate that's under the flywheel so it slides easier? I've sprayed T9 lubricant all around the base of it and it helped a little, but it's still abnormally tight. Thank you for responding

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The trigger should move freely and silky smooth. Remove the flywheel and test the trigger again. If it moves free, then there is some type of interference with the flywheel. If it does not move free, there is a good chance that the stator is preventing free movement. Remove it and see if the trigger moves well. Remove the bolt holding the trigger to the tower and take the trigger off. inspect the trigger module for scrape marks and check the stator mount for bent tabs.

Jiggz

Captain
As Frank mentioned, if the trigger arm and plates are hard to move, then something is causing it to bind. You will need to open and inspect by removing the flywheel.

cobia17

Cadet
Thank you both for your input. I just was able to free up the trigger assembly today. The previous owner had told me it sat for years, but ran fine prior to him storing it. I assumed it had bonded due to sitting and corrosion so I bought some T9 and lubed it up at every crevice I could see and with trigger removed from tower I worked it back and forth for an hour and it is sliding silky smooth now. If I don't have a timing light do you think it will be alright if I bolt the trigger and tower together in approximately the same spot? I took a picture of that connection prior to me removing it. Also how difficult is it to replace impeller? One more question sorry, when motor is in neutral and I pull up button to release the throttle arm it doesn't allow me to give it gas because the tabs on bottom of tower and shift lever match not allowing tower to move. Is that correct ? I remember on other boats I was able to throttle it up while in neutral. (Ex. When starting motor). Thanks again Frank and Jiggz