Starter - Solenoid Question

Hi Folks,

I have a Chrysler 75HP that has been going well. However, my boys wanted to go out on the weekend and the battery was flat. They went to jump it with another battery but cross wired the jumper leads - +ve to -ve. The starter now whirrs and engages the fly wheel but doesn't turn it, the starter makes a grinding-rattley sort of noise. Could this be a damaged solenoid or starter?

Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the starter engages but turns poorly the solenoid is probably ok.
Take the starter apart and clean the insides.

You only need to post once. It might take time but someone will get to you.

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Check your battery, and makes sure the battery cables are making a good corrosion free contact.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Was your battery fully charged? Because it sounds like there isn't enough juice to spin the engine. Of course I am assuming the engine can be turned as well and somehow not locked up. If you have a good strong battery, try jumping straight from the battery to the starter to eliminate the starter solenoid. If that doesn't work then you can have the starter checked out. And one last thing, make sure your battery connections, both positive AND negative connections are clean and shiny and tight. It could be something as simple as corroded ground connections that so many over look... JMHO

thanks for the feedback, I test over the weekend. Sorry for extra posts, my computer hung when I went to post so I didn't know it had posted.

chrysler starter.jpg Hi Guys, check it out and the problem is the bendix/starter drive assembly (bit that engages the flywheel). It seems there is some plastic in there and I think cross wiring (with jumper cables) has heated it and made it brittle. The starter motor is in good shape, it has larger magnets than I've had on a couple of other Chrysler 75's so I can't swap them out. I'm wondering if I can just get the drive assembly piece? Any suggestions? Cheers

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
The sparepart is F15056 and is a kit containing stopnut, stop pinion, spring and clutch. Maybe you can find only the clutch as used, but there is rubber inside the clutch holding drive to the splined nut. It will get old and then it get loose and just spin and do not engage.

I made a note when reading your first post. Did you reverse the battery pole puls vs minus?
If, check out that you have spark. Reversing battery poles when you have Magnapower I ignition with distributer and drivbelt, may end up with a fried CD box.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
We really need to know the year or model#
They used a few different bendix on their starters.
That one you posted will fit a lot but not all.