Screw or bolt?

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1997 Force 40 hp elpt. A friend of mine gave me a complete 2004 Mercury 40hp elpt with blown engine. The tilt on my motor works fine except when driving with motor tilted it wants to go down too many stumps to allow that. I am sure problem is check valve but the prices are insane. I have this other motor with tilt and trim and yes they are the same, even checked interchangeability. Figured I would switch them. Right where the top of the lift piston meets the motor is a pin or screw holding lift piston to motor. I went to the parts breakdown and it looks like a panhead screw however on my motor it looks like a pin. A little confused here. Anyone ever remove the lift assembly from one of these motors.

Jiggz

Captain
Can you post a pic of the item. Make sure you do not take it too close that is loses its reference, thus its ID. Even better take a close up one and another one showing references.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If I remember correctly, it is a drive pin that holds the cross pin (load pin) in place. If I also remember correctly you need to position the tilt so you can get to the drive pin.

If both of the tilt/trim units are the same, why not first swap the check valves? You are talking about the white plastic valve with three O rings, located on the side of the unit and accessed through a hole in the transom clamp, correct? The valve is about 60 bucks new but I would be willing to bet that the O rings are standard--either SAE or Metric. In any case, 2 bucks of O rings will rebuild the valve.