Need Help Identifying Year and Model of 20 HP Chrysler Outboard

Gary1031

Cadet
I have an old Chrysler 20 HP outboard my dad bought in the early 70's. I brought it to school to work on it, and I am unable to find the ID plate or anything on the unit with a model number or serial number. I am hoping that someone can tell me the yaer and model so I can order parts.

Attachments

• Chrysler_01.png
    Chrysler_01.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Chrysler_03.png
    Chrysler_03.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I can not pinpoint it exactly but late 1960s to very early 1970s would be close based on the cover. Most parts for this engine did not change until Chrysler sold out to Brunswick. Pistons are NO LONGER AVAILABLE anywhere. I know! Several years back I bought the last two in the country.

Sometime in the late 70s, the lower unit was changed.

Points and condensers can still be purchased at Chicago Magneto.

Typically, if not abused, the only thing necessary to do to get these engines running is to remove the flywheel and clean and set the points (.020) Then, remove, disassemble, and clean the carb.

Yours is electric start and the starter is Prestolite. If broken it can be rebuilt OR you can usually find a used one on ebay. The engine can be pull started using a lawn mower pull cord around the top of the flywheel.

Last edited:

Gary1031

Cadet
I did compression and leak down tests on this motor and those are good. So luckily I won't need pistons. My brother was using this motor until a few years ago. He took it off his boat and hung it in the garage when he started to have problems with the motor popping out of gear and having trouble shifting from neutral to forward gear.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
You likely already know this, but the ID plate is on the inside of the cowling on the floor of the lower cover. I think on the shifter side if I remember correctly. I have a 72 model electric start. It has the big hump on the cowl over the starter. One of the experts will know if the starter I have or the one you have is the later one... might help pinpoint a year if the plate is missing.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
The ID plate should be in the lower cowl just infront of the carb.

Gary your engine is a 1972 or 73 year model. Bullie yours is also 72 or 73. 1970 and 71 had the decal Chrysler with black letters at a white background.
1972 and 73 had white letters at a black background.

Gary1031

Cadet
My marine engines instructor and I looked all over the motor and couldn't find an ID plate anywhere. He guessed it was a 1972 or 1973 model also. Thanks everyone for your help!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Popping out of gear is due to wear on the drive dogs of the dog clutch and gear dogs. The gears and dog clutch were never changed until Chrysler changed to the larger lower unit with a 10 inch prop and 2-1 gears. SO: almost any 20 HP gears and dog clutch will fit. HOWEVER: The dogs on both the clutch and gears can be refaced to work as good as new.

Trouble going INTO gear is usually due to interference in the linkage. It is a complex linkage and any binding can result in the linkage bending with compliance resulting in failure to go into forward. One of the places to check is the shift rod seal on the lower unit. It can harden with age and prevent shifting.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Popping out of forward gear is usually due to wear on the dogs of the dog clutch and gears. These surfaces can be dressed square again and will work as good as new. Any gears or lower units from late 60s to early 70s will bolt right on.

At first glance it appeared that your engine had a prestolite starter but looking closer it now appears that it is a pull start engine. The engines with the large bump in the cover were AUTOELECTRIC start models where the starter also functioned as a generator. There was a small 12 volt light under the frosted part of the cover.

Failure to go into gear is usually due to excessive resistance of the shift linkage. It is a complex linkage and any resistance can cause it to bend compliantly. One place to look at is the shift rod seal on the lower unit. It can harden or oil can congeal, making the shift rod stick. You also should check the alignment of the neutral interlock. On some engines if it is not aligned correctly it will prevent shifting.

Gary1031

Cadet
Thanks for the good information, Frank. I'm in school for Marine & Small engines. So far I like working on outboards the most. I'll likely be spending a lot of time reading these forums.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
On the block is a foundry stamp with the year in the center of the circle.
Look on the stbd side on the top under the electronics.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Something I forgot: Before you go tearing into the gear case, check the linkage. If it has trouble going into gear, then when it does go in, the drive dogs may not fully engage, resulting in popping out of gear. Occam's Razor: The simplest solution to a problem is usually the correct one! ALWAYS try the simplest fix first!