Ignition key wiring help 1988 35hp Force

jerryt

Cadet
I am trying to hook up my ignition key wiring on my 1988 35 hp Force. There are a couple wires that are not there. There is no WHITE wire from the coil, a BLUE wire from the coil (the BLUE wire actually goes under the CD MODULE to somewhere I don't know) , or no PURPLE wire for the tachometer. So what I did was run a wire from the WHITE wire that is connected to the COIL and connected it to the correct terminal (White), ran a wire from the GREEN/YELLOW wire (for the tachometer) that is connected to the RECTIFER and connected it to the correct terminal (Purple), and connected the BLUE wire to the correct terminal (blue) and also grounded it. I grounded the BLUE wire because of some diagrams I found that looked like it is suppose to be grounded, but I am not sure if it is suppose to be grounded. All the wiring is connected to the terminal based on the wiring diagram on the motor. After I connected all the wiring from my ignition key switch wiring, it does crank when I turn the key, but I no longer get any spark on both plugs. I also get no spark when I don't use the key and try to start it from the Positive battery cable to the yellow starter wire. I appreciate any help I can get. I looked over the wiring diagrams on the service manual, and don't see what I need to get the wiring hooked up correctly. Thanks. Jerry

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I am trying to hook up my ignition key wiring on my 1988 35 hp Force. There are a couple wires that are not there. There is no WHITE wire from the coil, a BLUE wire from the coil (the BLUE wire actually goes under the CD MODULE to somewhere I don't know) , or no PURPLE wire for the tachometer. So what I did was run a wire from the WHITE wire that is connected to the COIL and connected it to the correct terminal (White), ran a wire from the GREEN/YELLOW wire (for the tachometer) that is connected to the RECTIFER and connected it to the correct terminal (Purple), and connected the BLUE wire to the correct terminal (blue) and also grounded it. I grounded the BLUE wire because of some diagrams I found that looked like it is suppose to be grounded, but I am not sure if it is suppose to be grounded. All the wiring is connected to the terminal based on the wiring diagram on the motor. After I connected all the wiring from my ignition key switch wiring, it does crank when I turn the key, but I no longer get any spark on both plugs. I also get no spark when I don't use the key and try to start it from the Positive battery cable to the yellow starter wire. I appreciate any help I can get. I looked over the wiring diagrams on the service manual, and don't see what I need to get the wiring hooked up correctly. Thanks. Jerry

Wonder if the colors have changed from heat, either that or someone has change some. Here is the wiring diagram for your engine
CHRY35_55_BattAlt.gif

jerryt

Cadet
That is the same diagram of an 85hp I was looking at online. On my motor, the coils have total 2 blacks, a white and a brown. No, blues. The available blue goes under the CD module. The rectifier has 2 green/yellow wires, a black and a red. There is no available white wire to connect, no available purple wire to connect, and there is a single blue wire that goes under the CD module. I have a second identical parts motor and the wires are the same, with no available white or purple and the blue goes under the CD module. I am almost certain there have not been wire changes on both motors. Thanks. Jerry

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The diagram below says its for 85 and 90hp Force but has the two green/yellow or yellow/green wires in two places. Not an outboard expert, just looking at the circuitry

85_90_thru91A_CD.jpg

jerryt

Cadet
Thanks, but the 1st diagram is the diagram of my motor (and the terminal block is identical), except for the missing purple and white wires and the one blue wire that comes from the CD module for my motor. Jerry

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Take a couple of photos. Your description is confusing because If you have battery and coil ignition you don't have a CD unit. If you have a CD unit, you MAY have coils but they are usually attached to the unit and are wired completely different than battery and coil ignition.

jerryt

Cadet
No Title

Here are some photos. Thanks. Jerry

Attachments

• photo216780.jpg
    photo216780.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 7
  • photo216781.jpg
    photo216781.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 7
  • photo216782.jpg
    photo216782.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 7

Nordin

Commander
jerryt Have send you a PM .
Can not upload file with the diagram for your engine.

Bmarge91

Cadet
I am having the same issue with the same motor did you ever figure out a solution?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Jerry hasn't been here in 6 years, and frank died several years ago.

You need to start a new thread of your own, and be as detailed as possible as to what you are working on, and what the issues are.

Bmarge91

Cadet
Jerry hasn't been here in 6 years, and frank died several years ago.

You need to start a new thread of your own, and be as detailed as possible as to what you are working on, and what the issues are.
Thank you