How to clamp shift cable 1988 35 hp Force?

jerryt

Cadet
I can not figure out how the shift cable clamps to the inside of the motor. I see one empty screw hole and don't see any way to clamp the cable down. The cable clamps I have are 2 holes, like the one used on the other side of the motor for the throttle cable. Attached is a photo of the shift cable coming into the motor. Thanks for your help. Jerry

Attachments

• photo216572.jpg
    photo216572.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Well looks odd! There should be two holes just behind the two who are for the bushing Cable entry.
What is the id.number for your engine?
I have look in my factory servicemanual and it is for 1988 thru 1991 and there should be two holes as i mention and the clamp should have a notch whitch goes into the grove in the cable cove,r to secure it to the supportplate.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The shift mechanism is past that area your showing in the pic.
You need to go past that area and take pics and post them of the linkage .

jerryt

Cadet
No Title

[FONT=&quot]The model is 357F8B. I removed the cable for better views. The first photo is the gear shift plate. The last photo is the other side of the motor showing the throttle cable. Sorry I cant take better photos of the gear shift area. The starter is there and the cable goes under that to connect to the gear shift plate. [/FONT]

Attachments

• photo216618.jpg
    photo216618.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216619.jpg
    photo216619.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216620.jpg
    photo216620.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216621.jpg
    photo216621.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0

Nordin

Commander
Your engine is a 1988,and I have no idea. Really odd because it should be two holes as I mention before.
Sorry can not help, you have to drill the holes your self.
Maybe jerryjerry can help.

jerryt

Cadet
There are two holes there. Both holes are for the bushing at the cable entry. One has the screw in there, the other did not. I did not even see a screw for the second hole in the parts diagram list I found online. The screws for the bushing are not the same size used on the clamps for the throttle cable. The clamp will not seat and attach correctly at the angle the holes are located. It seems odd to even clamp it there, since the bushing is rubber/plastic and not appropriate to tighten the cable down on to the bushing. I really don't see any other places to clamp it down. Thanks for your responses. Like you said, maybe jerryjerry can help. Jerry

jerryt

Cadet
after staring at the throttle side and looking at the strong steel bracket used to clamp the throttle cable down, I started to think that maybe the bracket on for the shifter was removed . So I started digging in my same motor parts box and found a bracket, found the spot on the motor with 2 bolts close to the cable, yes, the clamp fit on the bracket, bolted the bracket on, put the cable on with the clamp to the bracket, and everything aligned perfect. Problem solved. Now to do the adjustments and finish the wiring and hopefully its good to go. Thanks. Jerry

jerryt

Cadet
20150307_174455_resized.jpg If you look at the previous 3rd picture and under the carburetor, you can see an area there that has no paint on it with 2 bolts there. That's where the bracket fitted on for the shifter gear cable clamp. This picture is now with the bracket, clamp and shifter gear cable.

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Ok, there it is. Did not looked so close and I was thinking to much about Chrysler because they have the hole drilled in the support plate and the support plate is made of metal alloy and the bottom is flat. Force support plate is made of plastic and the bottom in the plate is not flat, that`s why it has the bracket.