55hp duel carb?

Bigsean

Recruit
I'm New to this forum and have been reading through all the past post looking for an answer , I just got my hands on a 1976 glastron v156 with a 55hp Chrysler that has two carbs on it . since the boat is buried underneath 2 feet of snow I don't know what model outboard manual to buy but I have read that the two carb 55hps are a different beast then the single carb version. any information on what model outboard I may have would be greatly appreciated this looks to be a long winter with more snow on the way Sunday. And reading through the manual so I can be prepared may make the time go buy faster,

Bigsean

Recruit
Ok dug through the snow and was able to get a model/serial # it's a 559h1n serial # 1457 built in 1981 does anyone know what service manual I should buy for this outboard there are a few on eBay for 55hp 1981 Chryslers but not sure if they are the same

Nordin

Commander
Well the dual carb 55/60/65Hp engine was intruduced in 1974 as 60Hp with the MAG II ignitionsystem and in 1977 it was two models 55Hp and 65Hp.
These had the same powerhead 818 cc but the 65Hp had a 1 piece gearcase similar to the 3/4 cyl. engines.The 55Hp had a 2 piece gearcase similar to the 35, 45, 55Hp singelcarb engines.

The MAG II ignition was a bad system with many problems. Chrysler offered a retrofit-kit in 1978 during warrenty. This was the much better Prestolite system.
Check out what system the engine has. MAG II has everything under the flywheel except for the ign.coils who are mounted under a cover at the head.
Prestolite has ign.coils at the head and a CDI box at the side of the powerhead.

If your engine is a 1981 year model it should have the Prestolite system.

You can get factory manuals at Hurrikain Marine Products. Go to the Chryslercrew website and get a link from there.

Bigsean

Recruit
Thank you very much I think that it does have the prestolite system once the freeze is over I will be on with more updates

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The twin carb 55, 60, and 65 were indeed a different animal. No parts other than carbs and some ignition parts were swappable with other Chrysler engines. By 1981 your engine should have the better (in some respects) one piece lower unit. This lower unit was better designed than the older two piece lower BUT the gears were a bit weaker. If the engine is under-propped and hole shots are performed there is a distinct possibility of stripping off the gear teeth. The 10 inch propellers were specific to these engines. They are no longer sold on any site but can be found on ebay. SOME Mercury 40-50 hp props MAY also fit but you need to be careful

The engine was Chrysler designed as opposed to the West Bend designed rest of the Chrysler engines. It was a "Packed block" engine with a 3.375 bore and 2.80 stroke. As opposed to other Chrysler engines with a crank locating ball bearing on the top, this engine had the crank carried by a needle bearing at the top and a locating ball bearing at the bottom of the crank. Connecting rods were much more massive and about 1/4 inch longer with a larger diameter wrist pin. Crank shaft was much heavier that the older 55 cranks and counterweights were a lot larger.

It was by far the best Chrysler engine made. For a two cylinder engine it had PLENTY of torque and useable horsepower. If propped correctly-- I think 10 X 13 might be right but you may be able to find something like a 10 1/2-11 diameter by 12-- it should push your V153 to high 20s and possibly even touch 30-32 MPH with just the driver.

If you want to see this engine in action, go to youtube and search Frank Acampora videos. Look for a video entitled something like Mini Cub Chrysler 60. This is the 1984 60 HP version of your engine. It was my favorite until I sold it. There is also a video in there of my 1971 V153 powered with a 120.

Your V153 is rated for a 90. If you find that you are doing a lot of water sports or constantly carrying 4 people, and if the 55 just doesn't have enough poop, find a used 85 or 90. If you use a Chrysler or early Force engine, all controls will work and you need possibly to only change two wires on the ignition switch.

Last edited:

Bigsean

Recruit
Had the boat out today first trip out it would never get up to speed as if the throttle wasn't going all the way , this is the only way that it has run for me , the next time out same thing but after sitting for a while fishing I let her go to a gradual straight long run after a bit it really picked up speed but then started to buck so I let her off. This was only the second day with her on the lake . Not sure if I'm looking at fuel or electric as long as I'm not going to fast there is no bucking