1989 125hp, no spark on cyl#1

Cyclone

Seaman Apprentice
Tested stator, ok. Tested trigger, ok. Swapped coils w/#2, 1 still didn't fire, 2 did, coil ok. A few years ago I bought a set of coils and cdi boxes, they are black, mine are blue. Do these interchange? Like to swap the cdi box to test, did notice that the connectors for the coils are opposite of my blue ones. So I guess my main ? Is, are the blue and black coils/cdi boxes interchangeable? Thanks
Edit: checked/tugged on all connectors, all good.
Model 1251E9B
Ser. 1247

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I've seen some motors that have both blue and black CDI modules installed together and they seemed to work. Not sure that I would do it as a permanent fix, but you could do it as a test.

Just be aware that a BAD CDI module may be producing spark to both spark plugs, but interfering with the GOOD module preventing it from producing spark to one or both plugs. If you replace the CDI module for #1 & #2 cylinders and it has no affect, put the original CDI module back on and try replacing the CDI module for #3 & #4 cylinder and see if this has an affect on the problem.

Cyclone

Seaman Apprentice
I've seen some motors that have both blue and black CDI modules installed together and they seemed to work. Not sure that I would do it as a permanent fix, but you could do it as a test.

Thanks, I'll do this tonight.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They say you shouldn't mix the blue/black packs.
I've found that it makes no difference other than the color of the wires.
The trigger leads can be broken under the shrink wrap.
You can even pull on it and it still won't come apart.
Check continuity on the lead for #1
For some reason(for me) it seems to be #1 that's affected the most????
If I have a problem I just replace all the wire connectors on everything, even the stator and regulator.
How's the compression on #1?

Cyclone

Seaman Apprentice
Thx JJ05, when I removed the trigger leads from the terminal strip, they all tested ok (ohm) per the manual. The compression on #1 is 145.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The lead can be making contact.
Then when it gets warm it breaks down??

Try retightening all the ground leads.

Cyclone

Seaman Apprentice
Finally made time to swap in the black pack to test. Sure enough, its running on all four now. I saw it was mentioned that you shouldn't mix blue and blacks packs, but I'm going to take the boat out this w/e to see how it runs under load. So I have the black pack and black coils on #1 & #2 cyl, and blue pack and blue coils on #3 & #4. Thanks for all the help.

Cyclone

Seaman Apprentice
Got the boat out in San Pablo Bay today, ran great. Thanks for the help.