Chrysler (1976) 75HP Trim Tilt Valve question

rogier

Recruit
Hi,

My tilt motor gave up on me the other day, the one I had was one with 3 valves (2x tilt + 1x lock to lock the outboard in down postition). No I found a trim/ tilt motor with 4 valves (2x trim and 2 x tilt).

My question is can I use the one if found with 4-valves to replace the one I had with onyl 3 valves by just blocking (with a bold or someting) one of the valves?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Cheers,

Rogier

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The operation of the three valve system is this: The front two ports OR the rear two ports control up and down tilt. It doesn't matter which set you use because both get the same hydraulic pressure. The third port ( I forget which you would use) applies pressure to a small hydraulic cylinder to release the reverse lock and let the engine tilt.

Yes, you can use the four port pump and block off one port with a solid fitting. You may need to go to a hydraulic supplier to find it--it is NOT a pipe thread nor a SAE thread and the big box stores may not have it.

But the real question is: Why not go whole hog and swap in a trim/tilt system? You will never regret it.

rogier

Recruit
Thanks Frank! In My case the first port (from the boat) was tilt down, next one was lock up, last one not used and bottom one was tilt up. But you answered my question that their won't be any issues.

and to answer your questions: Don't want to spend $$$ on a few hunderd dollar boat that's all