5hp Force by Mercury Marine starting Problems?!?!?!

I have a 5hp Force by Mercury Marine that wont start now. I got it and cleaned the carb out and it started right up and ran really nice, idled great reved up and was running great. Then I let it idle for like 15 minutes in a barrel and then it died by itself. Now it wont start, it will kick and some smoke will come out the ports above the water but will not start. Then I cleaned the carb out again but didn't make any difference. It has 125 psi compression and great spark. When I spray some starting fluid in the carb throat it will like kick back on me,? I will pull the rope out like half way and it will stop and pull back in?.?.? Really pulling out my hair with this one, used to working on my old JohnnyRudes. Thanks in advance, JM

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Model #??
If it kicks back when you add starting fluid, it's possible the keyway under the flywheel has sheared?
Check the timing.
Really no difference when working on Force or Johansens.
You have compression, fuel and timing is the next step.
Screwdriver in the plug hole, turn flywheel till the screwy is pushed out as far as it goes.
Then on the front of the motor is a timing marker.
It should line up with the timing mark on the flywheel.
Does it have a remote tank or a gravity feed?
Check for crud in the pump.Good luck.

Thanks jerryjerry05, The only thing I can find on the engine is the serial number oe116900. Guessing the year to be within 1995 and 1998. I will check the timing like you said. I have it hooked up to a 6 gallon gas tank and hose with new bulb, connector and new gas mixed 50:1. I already checked the fuel pump for crud and it was clean. Thanks JM

Where exactly are the timing marks? What do they look like, are the little arrows? I cant find them. Thanks JM

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Post a pic of the front of the motor.Try to get the flywheel and anything on the front.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I had a problem like that with a 85hp.
No matter what I did it just wouldn't run.
I had tilted the motor in the full up position.
I accidently hit the key(thinking I was starting the other motor)(I have twins) It turned over 2 times and fired????
Maybe tilt it and try pulling the cord.

I will try that, the forum wont let me attach images for some reasons? But I will try that and maybe clean the carb again. Thanks JM