wiseco pistob replace

daveski1964

Seaman Apprentice
I have one bad piston on 85 hp force motor broken ring on third cylinder,,,if I buy wiseco piston does it come with rings all ready on piston& wristpins? I guess I also need w5216 bearing kit & new gasket kit ?is there anything else I would need to replace

alldodge

Staff member
I have one bad piston on 85 hp force motor broken ring on third cylinder,,,if I buy wiseco piston does it come with rings all ready on piston& wristpins? I guess I also need w5216 bearing kit & new gasket kit ?is there anything else I would need to replace

Not an outboard expert but I have never seen a piston come with rings much less a wristpin. Not trying to be judgmental here but why are you trying to get by on the cheap?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Wiseco pistons come complete with rings, wristpin, and retaining circlips. Yes, you do need to buy the correct bearing kit because the existing retaining collars will not fit inside the piston.

Wiseco rings are not square. they are made with a 2 degree taper. Be careful when installing them there is a light etched "top" to indicate the top of the ring facing the top of the piston

Last edited:

daveski1964

Seaman Apprentice
so my parts list will be new wiseco piston---bearing kit --gasket kit -----does piston come with connecting rod??or can I use the one off old piston??? is there any other parts to finish job I may need???? I looked at wiseco web site could really understand in connecting rod comes with new piston...how do I measure piston wall to figure out what size piton I need ...web site has 4 different size pistons ---thanks for your time and help..

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Listen to Frank. He taught me what I needed to know to replace a piston in my 150.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Pistons do not come with connecting rods. And yes, you need to measure the bore to get the right size. Unless the bore is already in good condition and you know it's ' standard' and hasn't been bored since new. Regardless, run a light hone down before you start the rebuild.

Chris....

daveski1964

Seaman Apprentice
do I need to buy new connecting rod or can I use old one??? so what you are saying run bore tool first to bore cylinder a than check cylinder size for correct piston?? parts I need are new piston --new bearing kit--new gasket kit--and new connecting rod-- it that all the parts???

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Some people just replace the one piston and don't do anything but that piston and even re-use the old rings?
I believe in doing a complete job.
You can use the old pistons if they have no wear.
Look at the old piston.
The top of the piston would have a mark if it was oversized.
I got a bore scope/ camera for x-mas.
Went looking at the outboards on my boat.
Turns out the stbd. motor was rebuilt somewhere along the way??
The crown/ ridge had .020 engraved on the piston.

If yours has a small circle and nothing more it's probably stock.

You'll also need a tube of black silicone.

Also you need to figure out why the piston went bad???
Check the air screws?
Check the puddle drains.
Remove the dog bone looking thing on the stbd. side and see if it's clogged?
Maybe the exhaust chest is full of sand?
Bunch of different reasons it could go??

Jiggz

Captain
If the con rods are in perfect shape you will reuse them including the crank bearings. Take note how the con rod connects to the wrist pin, it should have its markings facing up. Take pics when you remove them just to make sure you know how it goes back. As for the roller bearings on the crank, make sure you account for them all. You will need to de-glaze the cylinder with a cylinder honing stone but you will need to fix first any scoring if any. Search the forum on how to replace piston and there is more than one thread with very detailed info and pics on it.