Splines on Force outboard?

sjbs

Seaman
Mercury Sportjet has 13 splines on shaft that goes into the crankshaft.How many does a Force outboard drive shaft have? Thanks,Steve

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Depends upon the year of the Force! After about 1994 when Force started using mercury lower units, the number of splines changed. Also, the 70 HP engine has a different number of splines than the other three and four cylinder engines.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Need to know what year your working on.
The older sport jets were all Force and later Mercury.
Different year, different #

sjbs

Seaman
I have a 1995 Force Sportjet block that has a crankshaft that broke right at the flywheel keyway when one of the magnets came loose.The block is in good shape as are the pistons and rods.This is a spare engine so I have been looking for a 1995 Sportjet crank.I have been told the outboard crankshaft will not fit the Sportjet pump.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Before 1995 the 4 cylinder Force motors usually had 15 splines. Starting around 1995, they started using crankshafts that had 13 splines on some of the 4 cylinder Force motors, but the crankshaft snout where the flywheel sits is the same diameter as the older Force motors. Somewhere around 1996 or1997 and later motors, they also had 13 splines, however, the snout where the flywheel sits is larger in diameter and used a flywheel that has about a 3/4" tall lip around the center bolt hole that was threaded on the inner circumference for a flywheel puller. These flywheels are easy to identify because of the lip around the center bolt hole.

Below are two photos of the different flywheels which may help it determining which Force crankshaft might work for you. First one is the 1994 - 1995ish. Notice no lip. Second one is the one used from about 1997 - 1999. Notice the lip.

IMG_2223.JPG 1997 flywheel.JPG

If your original flywheel had the "lip", then it's possible that a crankshaft from a 1997 - 1999 120HP Force motor may work but I certainly wouldn't purchase one without verifying the diameter of the snout where the flywheel sits and the numbers of splines.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2223.JPG
    IMG_2223.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 1